Combined EMU FAQs v4.0

Discuss product performance, tips & ideas, and to ask for help on technical issues with E-MU hardware/software.

Moderators: jc, Moderator

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Combined EMU FAQs v4.0

Post by jmail » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:11 am

================================================
Disclaimer: While we come back and edit these FAQs every so often, and try to keep them up-to-date, you, the user, are responsible for any impact (good or bad) you may experience using the information contained herein. Also, some FAQs do NOT pertain to your equipment at all (such as you have a USB device and are reading a DAS device FAQ or vice versa), and/or are completely outdated and no longer apply (such as from Windows updates). Proceed with caution.

Notice: E-MU's web site has been "absorbed" by the Creative site, and lots of product has been dropped from the Support site. We've not heard anything yet about if there's any plans for posting elsewhere. In the meantime, be sure and "search" the web ASAP for any material you might potentially need in the future...

E-MU FAQ's TIPS and SUGGESTIONS
This FAQ's will be here to offer E-MU product owners one place to find useful information to help with set-up issues, PatchMix set-ups, and other common questions that other members can link to when posting on the forum.

If you would like to add to the FAQ's then PM one of the MODERATORS with the Question & Answer, or Tips/Suggestions and that will be added to this post.

Please note: All of the “answers” given are at the time of publication deemed to be reliable. No harm or damage is intended. However, you are the responsible party for any unintended consequences. Also note that the FAQs have now been through four revisions, and if you are linked here by a member, or researched using an old post, you might have been given a different number than what is here now. Refer to the questions below for "clues" as to what you might be after...

E-MU USB Interfaces FAQs
E-MU DAS Interfaces FAQs
E-MU Soft Synths & Keyboard FAQs
E-MU General FAQs

More disclaimer stuff:
Q:. 1.0 Are you guys E-MU? A: 1.0 No. While this forum certainly deals with...
Q:. 2.0 Can you help me? A :2.0 Yes. Maybe…

The Good Stuff:
Q:. 3.0 I'm finding some issues with my product running on my system, could you offer some help? A: 3.0 Try these few links below...
Q:. 4.0 I need some help working out how to use PatchMix? A: 4.0 Here is a link to some useful tutorials...
Q:. 5.0 Where can I find the latest drivers for my E-MU Products? A: 5.0 You can find all the latest drivers...
Q:. 6.0 Where can I find old drivers for my E-MU Products? A: 6.0 You can find some older drivers...
Q:. 7.0 When I fire-up my sequencer program and pick the Software GS synth as output, there is a delay. How do I get rid of this lag? A: 7.0 A prossible answer...
Q:. 8.0 How do I check to see if I have an IRQ conflict? A: 8.0 To get to your IRQs, go to "Start"...
Q:. 9.0 How do I copy my IRQ table so I can post it on the forum? A: 9.0 Right click on My Computer...
Q: 10.0 When I post a new topic what should I include in my post? A: 10.0 When posting a topic about system problems...
Q: 11.0 I can not hear my guitar when I plug it into my 0404 or 1212m? A: 11.0 The E-MU 0404 and 1212M have line level inputs...
Q: 12.0 How to use multi-channel WDM output for surround sound (5.1) using various media players A: 12.0 The multi-channel WDM output works with...
Q: 13.0 How do I use my E-MU audio interface to record with a turntable? A: 13.0 read this thread
Q: 14.0 What is the Difference between ProteusX and EmulatorX? A: 14.0 E-MU Bruce has answered this...
Q: 15.0 I don’t seem to be able to update the drivers? A: 15.0 The following was posted by E-MU Bruce...
Q: 16.0 What are some of the differences between ProteusX LE, Proteus VX, Proteus X and EmulatorX? A: 16.0 Proteus X Le and Proteus VX are scaled down...
Q: 17.0 When I upgrade to EmulatorX 3, will it require putting in the EmulatorX 1 disc, then the v2, etc. A: 17.0 NO
Q: 18.0 Why won't Windows Media Player work when PatchMix is in 96kHz/192kHz mode? A: 18.0 This is because PatchMix locks the...
Q: 19.0 E-MU X eats my CPU power, how can I optimize my system for E-MU X? A: 19.0 E-MU Bruce has written a great post...
Q: 20.0 - I have no audio! - When you see signal... A: 20.0 Check in windows control panel... VRIR
Q: 21.0 My 0404 USB won't install... A: 21.0 "Analysing setupapi.log..."
Q: 22.0 PowerFX & FL Studio! A: 22.0 "When an instance of PowerFx is loaded..."
Q: 23.0 If You Have Problems Installing the "Light Blue" skin... A: 23.0 I downloaded the skin and it did not update...
Q: 24.0 How to use the 0404/0202 USB with other soundcards. A: 24.0 The buffer sizes go down to 2ms...
Q: 25.0 Guide to Installing EMU 0404 alongside the Creative Audigy. A: 25.0 Ok, this is my contribution to the forum...
Q: 26.0 Using Behringer FCV100 pedal with Xboard controllers A: 26.0 There were several issues to solve...
Q: 27.0 How do I disable SpeedStep? A: 27.0 This processor attempts to save power by...
Q: 28.0 Patchmix and ProteusX vids on Youtube! A: 28.0 Of course, EMU now has a presence on...
Q: 29.0 Solution for emulator x2 converter A: 29.0 Back to emulator 1.5 copy EmulatorX File...
Q: 30.0 Having problems with 0404 USB installation? A: 30.0 I had problems installing the 0404USB...
Q: 31.0 Re: Windows releases new patch for XP USB2 audio problems! A: 31.0 MS releasing a special patch for using...
Q: 32.0 Help! I get BSOD's during an EmulatorX/ProteusX installation... A: 32.0 The problem occurs during Authorization...
Q: 33.0 How do I re-set my 0202USB firmware? A: 33.0 Resetting the firmware to built in factory rom...
Q: 34.0 S/PDIF Out Locks but No Audio A: 34.0 S/PDIF Out Locks but No Audio dealing with Emu ...
Q: 35.0 1010 PCI card and 0202 daughter card compatibility A: 35.0 This one comes directly from E-MU Bruce...
Q: 36.0 Security on your PC and your media player A: 36.0 Software which is used by a lot of users can be a potential risk...
Q: 37.0 I need to use an ExpressCArd-to-PCMCIA adapter... A: 37.0 While E-MU has no official specific suggestions...
Q: 38.0 I have nothing but trouble when changing the sample rate... A: 38.0 Sample rate selection works differently in Windows Vista and...
Q: 39.0 I can't get the EMU Power FX to work correctly... A: 39.0 There's a discussion here...
Q: 40.0 Does my Xboard 49 work in Windows 7, 64bit version? A: 40.0 Just to answer my own question, yes
Q: 41.0 My 1820(M) is acting all wierd with the LED lights flickering all around... A: 41.0 The potential exists for troubles with the caps...
Q: 42.0 I want to run my Emulator X v3 on a Mac. Is that possible? A: 42.0 Using Emulator X3 in other than Windows...
Q: 43.0 What's up with Windows 7 64-bit, EMU and WDM audio? A: 43.0 For reference, we point you to...
Q: 44.0 Any idea what's up with the EMU OS X beta driver? A: 44.0 My 0404 USB Beta driver for Mas OS 10.6 log
Q: 45.0 In Win7-64, using EmulatorX v3, and can't use the FX in the Aux Busses. Why? A: 45.0 See the thread "Question for..."
Q: 46.0 Any tips on getting the E-MU USB Devices to work better... A: 46.0 Besides trying the "beta" driver...
Q: 47.0 ... guide me thru setting up my PatchMix for ext FX? A: 47.0 mazemaster posted in...
Q: 48.0 Is there a "Tutorial" somewhere here for me... A: 48.0jmail was kind enough to gather this info...
Q: 49.0 Can the MicroDock experience ... caps issue? A: 49.0 While the "construction" of the 1616M appears to use better-branded caps...
Q: 50.0 Does anyone have EMU working in Windows 8? A: 50.0 See the thread...

E-MU USB Interfaces FAQs
E-MU DAS Interfaces FAQs
E-MU Soft Synths & Keyboard FAQs
E-MU General FAQs

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Combined EMU FAQs

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:29 am

Q: 1.0
Are you guys E-MU?
A: 1.0
No.
While this forum certainly deals with lots of questions and answers regarding E-MU gear, this is not an "official" E-MU forum. It is the "Unofficial E-MU Forum". There's no "creative corporate mother" behind this forum sponsoring us. We're simply people who like/have certain gear, and we donate our time helping out other users, and have fun doing it.

We do have an occassional "official E-MU voice" visit here though, and we appreciate getting "official word" - oftentimes being the first to be notified of something new "from them E-MUs"...

When an E-MU rep contributes, they are identified as such and can be relied upon as "official". As a side-note to that, if anyone is found impersonating an E-MU rep, they will be banned, no warning.
Thanks to TwoRocks

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:32 am

Q: 2.0
Can you help me?
A :2.0
Yes. Maybe…
Well, at least, we'll do our best. But in order to do that as efficiently as possible, please be as specific as you can be with your question. Having a signature listing your gear in your post footer helps (See Q/A #10 below). If you are helped, please let us know what you did and how you did it (computer-wise, that is. We don’t need “girlfriend” stories)…

Plus: please really read the FAQs for the site, and the FAQs that relate to your product, before asking a question. And if you do find your answer there, please don't simply run away afterwards. Update your post's Subject Line with a "- SOLVED" at the end of the line. Then come spend the time saved at The Veranda with us! There, you can tell us the “girlfriend” and “car” stories… :idea:
Thanks to TwoRocks

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:34 am

Q: 3.0
I'm finding some issues with my product running on my system, could you offer some help?
A: 3.0
Try these few links below: It is NOT recommended that you get aggressive with optimizing your computer, especially newer ones that have lots of horsepower. You don’t want to “trash” the computer in an attempt to wring every drop of power out of the OS. However, it is recommended that you immediately go to the above locations and copy the articles. The pdf files are easy enough, just “save” them to your computer. For the html files, you’ll have to click and drag over the text, and <Ctrl><C> to copy it. Paste the text into a text editor and save it. We’re not advocating plagiarism nor copyright infringement here, just precautionary copying for future self-use. We used to have several good links for other articles, but they’ve gone “dead” and the trail is quite cold. XP tips especially, but even Vista ones are getting scarce on the internet. Get the info while you can… You have been warned.

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:35 am

Q: 4.0
I need some help working out how to use PatchMix?
A: 4.0
Here is a link to some useful tutorials: Again, don’t count on the links remaining active for forever…

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:36 am

Q: 5.0
Where can I find the latest drivers for my E-MU Products?
A: 5.0
You can find all the latest drivers on the E-MU website:
http://www.emu.com. Click on the “Support”, “Software & Manuals” menu.

Please note: We'll have to update this link, since it's "forwarding" a person to the Creative site now...

Edit: OK, the Creative/EMU Download menu is the place to go, sort of... You won't find any USB device drivers there, nor xBoard, or a few other odds and ends, and especially no "legacy" hardware stuff. Most of what us folks on this site use are listed as "End of Life Cycle..." Complaints have been flying.

The Beta Driver site (dead link - see Creative/EMU Download) will do the interface folks better...

NOTE: It is getting more and more difficult to find files and info for the older E-MU products, including the v1 PCI DAS and CardBus 1616 DAS Devices, due to E-MU's ever-shrinking inclusion in the Creative "family" of products. For now, one must choose a PCIe device in order to get drivers for the older PCI DAS Device line. You can also consult with
http://forums.creative.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11
for the Creative Professional "E-MU" sanctioned forum. Just be careful what you post, else you'll be banned and your post(s) pulled. If you absolutely CANNOT do with the newer drivers and PatchMix, and/or you want skins for the older driver versions, PM either SystemFile or (preferably) jmail and ask them to either DropBox them for you...

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:38 am

Q: 6.0
Where can I find old drivers for my E-MU Products?
A: 6.0
You can find some older drivers here:
http://preview.creativelabs.com/emu/default.aspx
(dead link - see Creative/EMU Download)
Please note: Since some of the older drivers are showing up on the Creative site, our guess is that the "Preview" site will disappear shortly (it did)... We've not heard anything concerning that, just a guess. We'll try to find a way to have those available somewhere.

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:39 am

Q: 7.0
I have my Audio Card hooked it up to my MIDI keyboard & when I fire up my sequencer program and pick the Software GS synth as output for one of the midi tracks, I strike a key on the keyboard, there is a delay of about 0.2 seconds before I hear the tone play. How do I get rid of this lag?
A: 7.0
A possible answer is here

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:39 am

Q: 8.0
How do I check to see if I have an IRQ conflict?
A: 8.0
To get to your IRQs, go to "Start", "Run", and type in "msinfo32"(no quote marks, of course). Click "OK". In the resultant left-hand window pane, click on the "Hardware Resources" plus sign (+), click on "IRQs" and, after "polling" the computer, the right-hand pane will display what IRQ each peripheral is assigned to in the right window. Sort the table by clicking on the column headings.
(thanks to jmail)

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:41 am

Q: 9.0
How do I copy my IRQ table so I can post it on the forum?
A: 9.0
Right click on My Computer, then Manage. Among the items you should see at the left side of the window is Device Manager. Click on that and a list of all devices installed in your computer will appear. At the menu on top, click on View then Resources by Type. Expand the Interrupt Request (IRQ) tree by clicking on the + sign. Next, either attach a print screen copy of the IRQ list or make a note of all entries and paste it here. That will help us diagnose your problem further. (Thanks to KitC)

You can also “click & drag” in the IRQ table windowpane to “highlight” the text. Press <Ctrl><C> concurrently to copy the text. Use <Ctrl><V> to paste it into your posting.