Combined EMU FAQs v4.0

Discuss product performance, tips & ideas, and to ask for help on technical issues with E-MU hardware/software.

Moderators: jc, Moderator

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Combined EMU FAQs

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:42 am

Q: 10.0
When I post a new topic what should I include in my post?
A: 10.0
When posting a topic about system problems like freezing or pops and crackles then we need to know, what do you have for a computer? Make/model, motherboard, CPU, BIOS version, type & amount of RAM, type & amount of hard drives, other PCI cards installed in the system, use of any firewire or USB devices, type of video card & RAM, operating system and service packs installed, IRQ assignments, software running, software used for recording, which driver are you using (ASIO or WDM), PatchMix session used, did you read the Quick-Start guide, have you read the tutorial, etc., etc., etc. Or, what you can get of all that. One of the main things to look out for when you're installing an EMU DAS device is to be sure and cancel the Windows "New Hardware Found" wizard and use the EMU installer (either on the CD included with the card, or the web download).
(thanks to jmail)

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:55 am

Q: 11.0
I can not hear my guitar when I plug it into my 0404 or 1212m?
A: 11.0
The E-MU 0404 and 1212M have line level inputs. In order to interface a guitar/bass or microphone you need to first go through a preamp. The preamp can be in two different forms. It can be a stand-alone outboard type or it can be one that is included in an external mixer.
(thanks to E-Mu Bruce)

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:56 am

Q: 12.0
How to use multi-channel WDM output for surround sound (5.1) using Windows Media Player v9.0 and similar media players
A: 12.0
The multi-channel WDM output works with many media players including Windows Media Player.
  • You must have already downloaded and installed the newest PatchMix and drivers for your E-MU Digital Audio Product from the EMU website.
  • Load or create a multi-channel WDM session in PatchMix. We provide a 5.1 surround playback session template file named "5.1 DVD Playback" on the 44k/48k tab when you use the New Session button of PatchMix. The Session should have three Windows Source strips in PatchMix with peak meters. If creating you own session, make sure that you have also added sends for each strip where you want each surround channel to be routed to which specific output.
  • Sample rate of the surround file or CD/DVD must match what is set in PatchMix.
  • Using Windows Media Player, make sure under Tools - Options on the Device tab, select Speakers then click on the Properties tab and select Default Direct Sound Device where is asks foir Audio device to use: Click Apply and then Ok if you made any changes.
  • Surround sound default outputs are mapped as follows:

Wave 1 = Front Left speaker
Wave 2 = Front Right speaker
Wave 3 = Center Channel
Wave 4 = Sub Woofer (LFE)
Wave 5 = Rear Left speaker
Wave 6 = Rear Right speaker
(thanks to E-Mu Bruce)

Just to emphasize the importance of your Patchmix Session Settings:
Jarrod wrote:Had the same problem for ages and would often spend the odd hour or so to get it working. Last night finally fixed it!

A very confusing problem as music dts seemed to work fine with foobar but films would only come through on wave 1/2.

What finally made things work was using the 5.1/48 patchmix session, before I'd been using the 5.1/41 session and thought this was ok as music and 2 channels would work fine. So VLC works fine and splits the 6 channels to wave 1/2 3/4 5/6.

Hope this solution works for others! I had been scouring the internet for ages to get this working and couldn't work it out. It was such a relief to see those other strips showing some action on the meters! So much so I was forced to watch quite a bit of District 9 despite the late hour of my fix!

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:57 am

Q: 13.0
How do I use my E-MU audio interface to record with a turntable?
A: 13.0
Please read this thread

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:58 am

Q: 14.0
What is the Difference between ProteusX and EmulatorX?
A: 14.0
E-MU Bruce has answered this question here

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:58 am

Q: 15.0
I don’t seem to be able to update the drivers?
A: 15.0
The following was posted by E-MU Bruce...
If you have a problem with updating, you may need to do a Virgin Re-Install Routine (VRIR).
  • Uninstall PatchMix and the drivers from the uninstaller or from add/remove programs.
  • Power down and remove PCI card.
  • Boot up and let windows do it's own clean up.
  • Power down and insert PCI card.
  • Cancel windows hardware wizard if it pops up (and it should) and then install the most recent PatchMix and driver updates.
  • You may need to load a new factory template in PatchMix and then rebuild any custom session templates you had from before.
Thanks to Sense_A for this:
tip: when you are uninstalling and reinstalling the patchmix software, you might want to backup c:\My Documents\My Sessions first so you can reload your sessions with all the same panels, plugins, asio assignments, etc.

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:59 am

Q: 16.0
What are some of the differences between ProteusX LE, Proteus VX and Proteus X? How about EmulatorX?
A: 16.0
Proteus X Le and Proteus VX are scaled down versions of Proteus X. The main differences are: They can not stream from hard disk, all banks must fit into RAM, can only be used as a VSTi, only comes with the Proteus X composer bank, a few other limitiations as well.

Proteus X LE, Proteus X, Proteus X2, Emulator X and Emulator X2 are all copy-protected software. You must also have a qualifying E-MU digital audio interface (0202 USB, 0404 USB, 0404 PCI, 1212M PCI, 1616/116M - CardBus or PCI, 1820/1820M PCI), E-MU Xmidi 2x2 (NOT "Made in China") or E-MU Xboard keyboard controller connected, powered on and installed correctly, as the E-MU hardware also acts as a software copy protection dongle for the protected software. Not having all of these things in order often results in the failed launch of the program or the Streaming engine error message. If you plan to use the Xboard on more than one USB port on your PC system, You may need to install the Xboard drivers for each USB port one time.

Emulator X3 also is copy protected but uses a new copy protection technology and no longer requires that you have E-MU hardware to act as a copy protection dongle. Proteus VX is not copy protected.

If you have Proteus X or Proteus VX and have the full version of Proteus X or Emulator X, there is nothing to be gained by having the less featured versions installed and the likelihood of having issues or confusion in your system as well as with 3rd party DAW software increases so we strongly suggest to not have more than one version installed. We have no support for any issues where more than one version is installed.

While Proteus X LE, Proteus VX, Proteus X, Proteus X2, Emulator X and Emulator X2 work for most customers in Vista, they are only tested and supported in Windows XP. They are 32-bit applications and will only work in stand-alone mode in XP64 or Vista64 and will not ever work as a VSTi in XP64 or Vista64. Only the recently released Emulator X3 is 64-bit and fully Vista compatible.

Things that can affect using, launching or installing Proteus X LE, Proteus VX, Proteus X, Proteus X2, Emulator X and Emulator X2 in XP or Vista include:
  • Out of date CD/DVD drivers
  • ATI product drivers - Use the most recent drivers
  • older versions of iTunes - Uninstall or update
  • older versions of QuickTime - Uninstall or update
  • Not having Admin account privileges - need to be Admin of the PC for install
  • UAC - Turn off User Account Control (Vista only) (Win7 now too??)
Thanks to EMU Bruce

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:00 am

Q: 17.0
When I upgrade to EmulatorX 3,will it require putting in the EmulatorX 1 disc, then the v2, then the 1, then the 2, like every time I've done a new install? =Peavley
A: 17.0
NO
Thanks to EMU Bruce

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:01 am

Q: 18.0
Why won't Windows Media Player work when PatchMix is in 96kHz/192kHz mode?
A: 18.0
This is because PatchMix locks the sample rate - Windows Media Player outputs the sound at 44.1kHz, rather than whatever mode you are currently using, so you will not hear anything. However, there are alternative programs that you can use to resample the audio for you.

Winamp: http://www.winamp.com
Winamp ASIO Plugin: http://otachan.com/out_asio(dll).html (the page language is Asian but it's straight-forward enough to find)

7-Zip: http://www.7-zip.org/
Guide: Extract the file using 7-Zip and copy the file (out_asio(dll).dll) loose into your Winamp "Plugins" folder. Then open up Winamp, go to Options > Preferences > Plugins > Output and selection the ASIO plugin. Click configure, enable resampling and select the sample rate you are using. Finally, select the E-MU driver in the Device drop down box at the top.

VideoLAN (or VLC): http://www.videolan.org/
Guide: Go to Settings > Preferences > Audio and then type in the sample rate you want (96000 for 96kHz, 192000 for 192kHz) and tick the "High quality audio resampling" option.
Thanks to theyarecomingforyou

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:01 am

Q: 19.0
E-MU X eats my CPU power, how can I optimize my system for E-MU X?
A: 19.0
E-MU Bruce has written a great post here on this.