Combined EMU FAQs v4.0

Discuss product performance, tips & ideas, and to ask for help on technical issues with E-MU hardware/software.

Moderators: jc, Moderator

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Combined EMU FAQs

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:02 am

Q: 20.0
I have no audio!

When you see signal in the peak meters of PatchMix but hear no audio, and assuming that you have PatchMix configured correctly and that the faders are up and not muted, then.....
A: 20.0
Check in windows control panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, under the Volume tab that the Mute is not checked and that the volume fader is set to high. On the Audio tab, ensure that you have E-DSP Wave selected for both Sound Playback and Sound Recording. Sometimes quarks related to odd Windows behaviour and/or recording programs/applications change these settings.

Also, try to restore defaults. Click on the 3-bar blue E-MU logo on the lower right of the taskbar and select Restore Defaults. After your PC has re-booted, then load the Product Default PatchMix session file from 44/48 tab. Insure that you are using the 44.1kHz sample rate. Go to any PatchMix strip (or the Main Inserts) and in an empty insert box within the strip, insert a test tone. (right clock after selecting which insert box you want to use) If all is working correctly you will hear a 440Hz test tone. Delete that insert after test is complete. Beware of your speaker levels because is they are set to high, the test tone will be blasting.

IF you still have a problem, then you may need to a what I call a virign re-install.

To do a virgin re-install (VRIR):
  • Uninstall PatchMix and the drivers from the uninstaller or from add/remove programs.
  • Power down and remove PCI card.
  • Boot up and let windows do it's own clean up.
  • Power down and insert PCI card. Double check all cables and connections.
  • Boot up
  • Cancel windows hardware wizard if it pops up (and it should) and then install from the CD-ROM or from the most recent website driver and PatchMix updates. Make sure that if using the website updates that you do the driver update first and then the PatchMix update. Boot your PC when prompted to do so.
  • You may need to load a new factory template in PatchMix and then rebuild any custom session templates you had from before.

Thanks to Sense_A for this:

tip: when you are uninstalling and reinstalling the patchmix software, you might want to backup c:\My Documents\My Sessions first so you can reload your sessions with all the same panels, plugins, asio assignments, etc.

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:02 am

Q: 21.0
My 0404 USB won't install...
A: 21.0
HELPFUL INFO
"Analysing setupapi.log (together with reading and reading and reading of USB related stuff) made me clear that there also has to be a driver file for installing the composite functionality of your usb-host. On my laptop that section was found in usb.inf and that file did not exist on my PC. I first searched the web, because I didn't know if I could copy that file without harm. I couldn't find anything about it, so I took the risk. And with success! Not so smooth as on the laptop, but after deleting two registry-entries twice and several reboots the job was done. Now I can at last try this machine out!
Thanks to Petie81

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:03 am

Q: 22.0
PowerFX & FL Studio!
A: 22.0
TIP
"When an instance of PowerFx is loaded, to obtain a working plugin, you must simply check on the wrapper menu (high-left corner of the plugin window) the "Use fixed buffer size" option.
This thing resolved the problem...at least for me."

Thanks to Raikard

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:04 am

Q: 23.0
If You Have Problems Installing the "Light Blue" skin for PatchMix...
A: 23.0
SUGGESTION
I downloaded the skin and it did not update the skin for two reasons
1. did not install in correct directory
2. layout.xml file had XML syntax errors that prevented PatchMix app from loading; however the service did start

Part 1 - moved installed skin files to from: %WINDIR%\Program Files\Creative Professional\E-MU PatchMix DSP\Skins to %WINDIR%\Program Files\Creative Professional\Digital Audio System\E-MU PatchMix DSP\Skins

Part 2 - edited XML near line 350 of layout.xml file in response function block to fix incorrect comment syntax (according to IE parser);
e.g. corrected comment spans from <! ... /> to <!-- .... -->

also commented out the following line that seemed commented out with improper comment syntax:
entry normVal = "0.9999" transVal = "0.9999"
Thanks to jtprime for this post

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:04 am

Q: 24.0
How to use the 0404/0202 USB with other soundcards.
A: 24.0
INFO AND SUGGESTIONS
  1. The buffer sizes go down to 2ms. We've been able to use this setting without problems on all our moderately high end test systems (3Ghz+)
  2. We have several test systems with nForce4 chipsets in our test lineup. The 0404 and 0202 USB work fine with all of them.
  3. If they are on the same USB host controller, the bandwidth has to be split between all devices. We've tested the 0404 USB using all inputs and outputs simultaneously while streaming MIDI and recording to an external hard drive on the same USB controller without issue. However, results could vary depending on variables specific to your system. I'd suggest trying it out; if you have problems, try removing/rearranging the external HDs.
  4. Yes, it is possible by setting the 0404 to SPDIF Direct Monitor. However, I'd suggest using the 0404 USB via USB as your output sound quality will be limited by the Audigy 2 ZS's D-A conversion on its outputs. You will get a better quality to your speakers by coming directly off the 0404 USB.
  5. There should be no problems. The USB products seem to work fine with any PCI audio card in the same system, including the E-mu PCI products.
My standard suggestion for anybody buying any sort of computer hardware, audio interface or otherwise, is:
  1. Buy from a reputable source with a good return policy
  2. Reserve a large block of time when you are not working on any critical projects on your computer to install the new hardware or upgrade.
  3. Read the install instructions before installing
  4. Back up any critical data on your system, consider using an imaging program (Norton Ghost, Acronis, etc.) if the idea of possibly having to reinstall Windows is unacceptable to you.
  5. Install the hardware and throughly test. Decide if it meets your needs, and if not, consider returning and acquiring something that does.
(Thanks to Justin of Emu)

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:06 am

Q: 25.0
Guide to Installing EMU 0404 PCI alongside the Creative Audigy.
A: 25.0
SUGGESTIONS
"Ok, this is my contribution to the forum and my thanks to all forum members for providing me with all the help and advice on installing and setting up this soundcard.

This guide is for anyone intending on using the EMU soundcard alongside it's little brother the creative Audigy/2/ZS soundcard under Windows 2000/XP.

Exclamation IMPORTANT - BEFORE inserting the EMU card into your pc, make sure that your Audigy card is installed first and that all the drivers are the latest and updated from the creative website.
Arrow It is important that the Audigy is installed first and drivers updated because once the EMU card and drivers are installed it will not be possible to update the Audigy drivers without screwing up the EMU drivers in the process.

STEP 1.
Now your Audigy is installed/updated and working it's now time to install the EMU card. Shutdown the PC and insert the EMU card into any free PCI slot. There is no need to worry about IRQ conficts or sharing issues on today's motherboards. ACPI solved all those problems a long time ago and in my experience I have never found any advantages of having a PCI card installed in the first slot or any other slot (except where heating issues from a video card may affect another card installed beside it).

STEP 2.
With the EMU card installed correctly you should now Reboot the PC and login to Windows. If the PC crashes at this point or reboots before loading Windows then dont panic. This happended to me on a couple of occasions and I expect it is down to the card warming itself up or getting used to it's new home Smile I don't know why this happens but after a another reboot I finally arrived back in good old Windows Desktop.

Exclamation IMPORTANT - After windows has loaded you will be presented with the New Hardware found Wizard. You must CANCEL the wizard, DO NOT allow Windows to search or install the drivers for this card.

STEP 3.
Insert the EMU Driver CD that came with the card into your CD-ROM drive which should Auto-Run, if not then browse the CD and run:
CD-DRIVE:\CTRun\ctrun.exe

Follow the install instructions, if you select to custom install only the applicatons you will use then make sure you also install the PatchMixDSP and Driver software.

STEP 3a.
Half way through the installation or when it comes to the point of installing the drivers, a window message will popup asking to CONFIRM/STOP the driver installation for Creative Audigy WDM Sound Card.

Exclamation PRESS STOP/ABORT to any Window Driver Message if it is for the Creative Audigy or Creative Gameport. This is important, because the EMU and Audigy cards share similar drivers and hardware, so you don't want to overwrite or update your Creative Audigy drivers.

STEP 3b.
Arrow Only CONFIRM/ALLOW any Windows Driver Message for the EMU soundcard. If any other Window Message pops up about overwriting a file that is already installed then click NO, you SHOULD NOT overwrite any file that already exists on your system.

After reaching this stage, you may or may not experience a sudden reboot or BSOD. Do not worry if this happens, it happened to me and yes.....I was not very ******* happy. Proceed to STEP 4 below if your PC crahes at this stage. Proceed to STEP 5 if the installation completed without errors.

STEP 4. You are not very ****** happy.
Ok, so you were unlucky, your PC crashed. Reboot and reload Windows you should be fine. When Windows has loaded, again ignore any Hardware Found Wizard and insert and rerun the EMU Driver CD-Rom. This time, choose the custom install option and select EMU Drivers Only. There is no need to re-install all the other software as the crashing problem is with the Drivers only. Again, folow as instructed in STEP 3a and STEP 3b above. At this stage all should go fine and the Driver installation should complete this time. Well it did for me.

STEP 5. - Installation Completed fine
Reboot your PC, Login to Windows and connect to the internet. Go to EMU's website: http://www.emu.com
Download the latest drivers for your EMU soundcard and install them as instructed on the website.

Exclamation See STEP 3a and STEP3b above when updating the Drivers for your EMU card. This is important, otherwise you will end up back at square one except this time you will have to reinstall your Audigy drivers too.

STEP 6. - Final Step.
After Updating the EMU drivers and PatchMix application, Reboot your PC
and you should now be able to use your EMU card alongside your Audigy card. The EMU card needs to configured in the PatchMixDSP mixer but that's another story. Smile And they say computers should make life easier for humans Rolling Eyes

I hope this guide proves useful to someone, because without my experience in technical areas such as this, I would had never got this far." (Thanks to Bedlam for posting in this thread)

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:06 am

Q: 26.0
Using Behringer FCV100 pedal with Xboard controllers
A: 26.0
SUGGESTIONS From this post:

Hi,
Got this week a good and secondhand Behringer FCV100 footpedal.
There were several issues to solve and a few I will mention here.

1. It would not work at all at start.
- I forgot to set the Xboard PEd to ctL (default is SuS).
- The FCV100 needs to be set in the CV mode and connected to Output 2.
- The connection cable needs to be modified to work:
At one end, exchange the Tip and Ring wires in the jackplug.
2. The minimum and maximum volume value behaviour was unsufficient:
The Pedal needs to be calibrated through the Calibration menu.

After that the controller works as it should.

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:07 am

Q: 27.0
How do I disable SpeedStep
A: 27.0
SUGGESTIONS

"Do you notice the pitch waver on the two reverb files?

That indicates a TIMING issue of some sort, since we know that the pitch of the instrument itself is fine, something in the sampling of the waveform is not lining up right, or a better term might be not lining up evenly at all times. Almost as if the clock were wandering.

This may be a hardware issue, internal to the EMU, but that needs to be isolated further before jumping to that conclusion.

Okay, let's do some sleuthing.

Looking up the Intel T2050 dual core on the web, I find what I suspected: This processor, just like my AMD Turion in this respect, attempts to save power by using what Intel calls, "Speed Step" technology.

In effect, what Speed Step does is ramp the speed of the processor up and down in an attempt to run the processor at slower speeds for tasks that are not as demanding, thus saving power.

Unfortunately for us music makers, this is not a good thing for DAW use, to say the least.

You have got to find out how to disable Speed Step on your laptop and try that.

I understand that this is located in the Power Properties (got that from lurking the cakewalk forum after websearching for "speedstep disable daw" and the like.

The clue is in that pitch change I mentioned up above.

This is supposed to be the same as "Always On" -- check that again and also look for other things like this as I'm pretty convinced about what is going on here. That pitch change cannot be ignored. And it makes a lot of sense to suspect the CPU speed cycling when I hear that. Of course, not only does the ramping up and down of the CPU speed affect the pitch of the recording like that, it is also creating interruptions in the audio, too, which sound like distortions when played back. Anything that alters the waveform is a distortion.

I notice that some users of the chip in other brand laptops have had audio problems, mostly with firewire devices, of the same sort as you are experiencing with that CPU, they report that if there is a toggle to turn the FAN to always on, it can solve the problem. For certain Toshiba laptops this was a problem that could only be solved by opening the laptop and physically bypassing the fan controller. CHECK TO SEE IF THE FAN CYCLING on your laptop appears to be related to your problem, as another clue. "

To expand just a bit, disabling any form of cpu throttling should apply to most daws since it slows down bus speeds during periods of low cpu usage, useful when saving energy, but often with adverse results when when recording where a stable clock is necessary. Most soundcards often derive their timing from the bus to which they are connected so changing bus speeds can certainly affect sound recording and playback. Mac's advice above applies as much to desktops as well as laptops. (Thanks to Mac for posting this here)

Comments from Mac on the above:
I'd like to point out that the above problem was cured by the user going to the mfr's website and updating the BIOS for that particular puter.

Am willing to bet that the original BIOS had problems with the handling of the CPU throttling command from inside Windows, BIOS update likely contained the codefix.

When dealing with software switches, "Off" is not necessarily really Off. We have to take the software's word for it.
Thanks to Mac

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:08 am

Q: 28.0
Patchmix and ProteusX vids on Youtube!
A: 28.0
INFO

PATCHMIX
GearWire E-MU Patchmix Software
PROTEUS X
GearWire ProteusX
(Thanks to moffdnb and thainhart for re-finding)

Of course, EMU now has a presence on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/EMUsupport
Replacements for the "original" vidz cannot be found.

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:08 am

Q: 29.0
Solution for emulator x2 converter
A: 29.0
INFO
"Back to emulator 1.5 copy EmulatorX File Converter 447 kb and paste in to
X2 .Halion,exs ,Akai works wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll" (Posted by Pedro here)

Comment on above:
Use the converter from EmulatorX 1.5. if you are having problems converting the above sounds, according to Pedro.
Thanks to KitC for linking