Combined EMU FAQs v4.0

Discuss product performance, tips & ideas, and to ask for help on technical issues with E-MU hardware/software.

Moderators: jc, Moderator

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Combined EMU FAQs

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:09 am

Q: 30.0
Having problems with 0404 USB installation?
A: 30.0
SUGGESTIONS

Thanks to Petie81 from his post here.

I had problems installing the 0404USB to begin with. After thorough troubleshooting I discovered my desktop didn’t have the usb.inf file. After copying the file from a laptop to my desktop the installation went perfect.
But then, I could not record or play back a song without serious pops and cracks or crashing. Playing soft synth was impossible. I tried everything. I got a lot of help from this forum (Thanks again!), but nothing solved my problem.

After month of very frustrating troubleshooting I gave up. I concluded I had a mobo that was not compatible or was defect. When I had the money for a new desktop I would give it another try, but for now I decided to spend my time on my other hobby, photography.

And so I did. I deleted everything that had something to do with sound recording and I optimized my desktop for graphics. I had a great time making nice pictures and playing with Photoshop. Although my PC wasn’t the fastest I could do what I had to do.

Till last week. I had by accident downloaded a 4 Gb file to my boot disk. I usually never do so (boot is for programs and for data I have another disk) so I copied the file to my data-disk. That took me 20 minutes. 20 minutes!!! Was that normal?

I knew there was something wrong. With my disk or memory. But what? I searched the web for some diagnostic tools. I found memtest and HD tach.
With memtest I found out my memory was ok. Fine
But when I tested my boot disk with HD tach it had a reed speed of only 4 Mb/s! It should be more than 50. But now what? Was it defect or was it something else?

I searched the web again for the disk type I have with the word ‘slow’. I got hundreds of hits of people with the same disk that was terribly slow. I read many posts, but there were only problems and e few suggestions, but none of the threads ended with a solution.

I searched the web again for more diagnostic tools and I found pcpitstop.com. A site that tests your PC and gives you advise about what you can optimize. I run the test and obviously it reported a very slow boot-disk. But it also gave me a clue what can be the course of it: I had to look if the disk was in UDMA mode instead of PIO. PIO is much slower then UDMA. It told me how to check and it gave me a link to a Microsoft page with info about the too modes. Interesting, I checked and bingo! My primair IDE controller was indeed in PIO mode. But I could not change it!

Another search. Disktype, ‘slow’ and ‘pio’ and ‘udma’. And yes, after reading a few posts I finally read one with a solution: disable driver of primairy IDE controller and restart the PC. So I did, checked and yes it was in udma mode. Run HD tach, and the boot disk had a read speed of over 60 Mb/s! Wow!
I started Photoshop and it only took 20 seconds. I was used to more than 2 minutes!

Till then I thought I had this problem since a few weeks or so. But suddenly I thought: could this be the problem that prevented the 04040usb to work properly?
Thinking of all the hours I spend troubleshooting I was sort of afraid to try. But yesterday I though what the hack, it will only take me an hour and then I now.
So I did. I installed the EMU-drivers and some of the software. First I played music with madia player and at my surprise it sounded perfect without any distortion. I could even explore my disk and copy files while playing music.
Second I recorded a song from my stage piano. I couldn’t believe it. Three minutes of recording without any distortions or craches.
Finally I played some soft synth and that went well also. Lowered the buffer size to 10 ms and still perfect performance.

Wow! I cannot describe how I felt!

So, that was a long story.

I hope it will help more people with the same or alike problems.

If you have problems like this, but the solution is not helping you, I suggest that you use the following tools to examine your system:

Memtest to check your RAM (http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html)
HD tach to check your harddisk (http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/in ... est=HdTach)
Pcpitstop.com to check your complete system

Good luck everybody. I will check in every now and then to see if I can be of some help.

BTW, as I told, the 0404usb is working perfect now. And you now, everything you should do to avoid bad performance, I hadn’t done. On board audio is still enabled. So is internet access, firewall, anti virus, anti ad ware, etc.
So my conclusion is: if you have some trouble with some pops and cracks (I mean a few) and you have an older system, than it may help to optimize your system by disabling above mentioned items. But if you have any serious problems, like a lot of pops and cracks and crashes or so, optimizing won’t help, there must be any sort of underling driver or hardware problem. Keep digging!

Gr.Peter - Thanks to KitC for linking

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:10 am

Q: 31.0
Re: Windows releases new patch for XP USB2 audio problems!
A: 31.0
SUGGESTIONS

One thing to remember about "advice" like this, is that Windows Updates will have this "rolled" into them... caveat emptor

From forum member, "sinema":
Posts: 29 Hey guys, I just found an interesting topic about MS releasing a special patch for using USB audio devices.

Read about it here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898108/en-us

I don't know if this can help, but I think it's worth a try If everything else fails.

Note that the page tells us:
SYMPTOMS
When you try to play audio on a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, you experience frequent disruptions and long delays in the audio stream. This symptom occurs if the following conditions are true:
• You use a universal serial bus (USB) 2.0 audio device to play audio.
• The USB 2.0 audio device uses high-speed isochronous transfers to play audio.
• You are using a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer.
• The audio device driver uses large data transfers.

Also note carefully:
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next Windows XP Service Pack that contains this hotfix.
Note: Windows' Service Packs may influence this...
emphasis added and linking by Mac

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Q: 32.0
Help! I get BSOD's during an EmulatorX/ProteusX installation...
A: 32.0
SUGGESTIONS

Thanks to flatfinger for posting this!
flatfinger wrote: I had this problem and have solved it . Here is the response I sent to EMU support to inform them of my fix.

The problem occured during Authorization. I'm happy to say "occured" ..... here is what I did to fix it. After installing with the clean boot proceedure as suggested the results were identical. I took note of the fact that the BSOD included the stop code and the file name "iastor.sys " which I then Googled. There were many hits on this little file . After looking around at them a bit I found out that IASTOR.SYS is a Intel SATA drivers for hard drives. My system is running SATA drives in AHCI mode ( I know because I had to F6 and provide a floppy during the winXP installation.
I then looked around the Intel site and found this page : http://downloadmirror.intel.com/14848/E ... enotes.htm which shows lots of 3rd party software vendors getting BSOD's ( listed in the resolved issues section ) . Long story short , I updated the SATA AHCI driver from version 7.0.0.1020 to 7.8.0.1013 and that did the trick . I should also note that every time I tried to Authorize before the program asked for the X2 disk . After the driver update , it asked for my original x1 disk and Authorized without issue . Something for your database .
Thanks for your response and efforts in this issue . I'm off to make music now !!!!!!!!

Hope this might help someone out in the future !!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks to KitC for linking

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Q: 33.0
How do I re-set my 0202USB firmware?
A: 33.0
SUGGESTIONS

Thanks to forum member bla for this tip:

Applies to 0202 USB 2.0 only.

Resetting the firmware to built in factory rom.

If you apply a firmware update and find it isn't working properly, the following procedure will reset your 0202 USB 2.0 back to the original firmware hiding inside the box:
After installing the Vista beta drivers from Jan 18 2008 my EMU was not properly recognized anymore (the emu icon in taskbar flickered on/off several times and stayed off). Even on a XP machine I could not update firmware (during driver installation) anymore.

The fix was pressing the direct monitor button during switch-on. Then obviously a default firmware is loaded which made my Emu operable again - and I could install the XP drivers (with firmware update) on the XP machine.
Thanks to KitC for linking

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:11 am

Q: 34.0
S/PDIF Out Locks but No Audio
A: 34.0
This post refers too S/PDIF Out Locks but No Audio dealing with Emu 0404 usb 2.0

http://productionforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=9489

Resolved!
Thanks to Bear

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:11 am

Q: 35.0
1010 PCI card and 0202 daughter card compatibility
A: 35.0
This one comes directly from E-MU Bruce:
Another one for the FAQ:

The v1 1010 PCI card with a Firewire port can only be used with a 1820 or 1820m AudioDock

The v2 1010 PCI card without a Firewire port can only be used with the 1616 or 1616M MicroDock.

The 02 Daughter card can be used with either 1010 PCI card.

The 02 CardBus card can only be used with a 1616 or 1616M MicroDock

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:12 am

Q: 36.0
Security on your PC and your media player
A: 36.0
Hi,
there's something I want to add. You mentioned Winamp as a free audio player which is very mainstream today.
Software which is used by a lot of users can be a potential risk to your system's security because it is getting into the focus of hackers.
But I don't want to talk too much about security, I just want to introduce the free audio-player foobar2000 to you.
It is way more simple and resource-friendly than Winamp is. It supports a lot of audio formats like WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, MP4, AAC, OGG and also the apple sound formats(I don't know their names). Additionally you can download plugins to extend to APE and SHN support, too. There is also an ASIO plugin available and the player also has integrated DSP effects for resampling and other stuff.

Just have a look for yourself:

http://www.foobar2000.org/
Thanks to sciencesky

NOTE:
Production Forums wishes to impress upon everybody that no single app or web site will ever again be “100% SAFE” to use, and we recommend that you proceed with caution with any installation on your computer. It would always be a good idea to make a fresh image of your computer prior to any potentially questionable installation or activity…

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:12 am

Q: 37.0
I need to use an ExpressCArd-to-PCMCIA adapter... any recommentations?
A: 37.0
E-MU Bruce commented about a few here:
http://productionforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&start=45
His comments are near the bottom of page 4
E-MU Bruce wrote:FYI:

While E-MU has no official specific suggestions or support for CardBus adapters due to compatibility issues, some customers have informed us that they have had success using the E-MU 02 CardBus PCMCIA card with the ExpressCard Adapters noted below. Understand that we have not tested these products and have no support for any issues using them. While the risk is minimal, use them at your own risk.

* Duel Systems ExpressCard Adaptor
http://www.duel-systemsadapters.com/?productid=DP-0001

* StarTech PCMCIA to ExpressCard adaptor

* Addonics ADEX34CB PCMCIA to ExpressCard Adapter

* The Rosewill RC-608

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:13 am

Q: 38.0
Man, I have nothing but trouble when changing the sample rate... ??
A: 38.0
E-MU Bruce commented about that too:
E-MU Bruce in a different thread wrote: Sample rate selection works differently in Windows Vista and Windows 7 than it does on Windows XP. Users may need to manually select sample rate in both PatchMix and in Windows Vista & Windows 7.

If the sample rate in PatchMix and Windows 7 does not match the audio source, you will get garbled audio or no audio at all. That is how digital audio works. In Windows XP there was on-the-fly sample rate conversion as part of the media players CoDec.

To manually set sample rate, first set PatchMix to the desired sample rate and configure PatchMix strips as desired.

Then:
* Right click the speaker icon
* Select Playback Devices
* Click the E-MU Product
* Select Properties
* Select sample rate on the Advanced Tab
* Click Apply, then click ok.

We are finding that most of the time you do not have to manually select the sample rate in Windows 7 as it will be set when you select the sample rate in PatchMix.

Note that as of today E-MU USB audio products work differently and usually require manual sample rate selection. The Beta USB driver that will soon be released will have a "Unappoved Microsoft Hack" to set the Windows properties sample rate when you select the sample rate in the E-MU USB Control Panel.
E-MU Bruce in another different thread wrote:Note that in Vista and Windows 7 sound properties you can rename the audio device with a friendly name of your choice as well as change the icon. We plan to create and post some E-MU product icons for this purpose.

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:14 am

Q: 39.0
I can't get the EMU Power FX to work correctly. Why?
A: 39.0
There's a discussion here: Patchmix Compendium

Also be aware that they are not "officially supported" in Vista nor Windows 7, and do NOT work in 64-bit versions of Windows.