Combined EMU FAQs v4.0

Discuss product performance, tips & ideas, and to ask for help on technical issues with E-MU hardware/software.

Moderators: jc, Moderator

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Combined EMU FAQs

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:14 am

Q: 40.0
zvenx wrote:Hi, will I be able to still use my Xboard 49 when I switch to Windows 7, 64bit version?
Anyone using this succesfully?
thanks,
rsp
A: 40.0
zvenx wrote:Just to answer my own question.
The Xboard works fine in Windows 7 64 bit OS...
yeah!!! :-)
rsp

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:15 am

Q: 41.0
My 1820(M) is acting all wierd with the LED lights flickering all around, the audio drops out randomly, and I get wierd little "poofs" and "pops" in my audio... Wuz up?
A: 41.0
As an 1820 ages, the potential exists for troubles with the capacitors. They start to "leak", and all sorts of symptoms appear. Refer to these threads for some background and help on the issue:
EMU 1820M all leds/lights on and not working....!
Audiodock dying!! My version.
Question about the fast aging capacitors
1820m sound on output being muted randomly
AudioDock Problems
Notice that there was much disagreement in the beginning phase, when the symptoms first began to appear. There is ongoing discussion as to the proper course of action. As always, it's the user's decision and responsibility for proper diagnosis and proper repair. The reading can be boring, yet you HAVE to read it ALL in order to help you make a decision! You have been warned.

jmail recently went through the site, and "gleaned" the main info from those other threads listed above, and a couple of others, and has started the 1820 AudioDock Bad Caps Synopsis. Much less reading to deal with, but does skip a lot of the discussion.

Edit 12th November, 2014: For some shots of classd's mods, see the thread 1820M & PC1010 Full Mod Project Completed, which includes a link in his first post to further discussion.

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Q: 42.0
I want to run my Emulator X v3 on a Mac. Is that possible?
A: 42.0
Check-out this thread: Using Emulator X3 in other than Windows...

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Q: 43.0
What's up with Windows 7 64-bit, and why is there still trouble running apps and drivers in it?
A: 43.0
For reference, we point you to Wikipedia's "3 Gig Barrier" article, especially the last part:

"The final piece of the 3 GB barrier puzzle is a limit deliberately coded by Microsoft into the "non-server," or "client," x86 editions of Microsoft Windows: Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. The 32-bit (x86) versions of these are able to operate x86 processors in PAE mode, and do so by default as long as the CPU present supports the NX bit.[13] Nevertheless, these operating systems do not permit addressing of physical memory above the 4 GB address boundary. This is not an architectural limit; it is a limit imposed by Microsoft as a workaround for driver compatibility issues that were discovered during testing."

Edited 09/27/11:
We also direct you to the posts:
WDM Audio & Win7 64-bit... and
E-MU DAS Device 10-Question Windows Audio Poll
where there has been some discussion (mostly our jmail) concerning the issue and some researching he has done, along with results. More participation is needed before we can call the issue "Resolved". Also, do note the FAQs Q/A #38 for the procedure to change sample rates, since that also has some bearing on success or failure...

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:16 am

Q: 44.0
Any idea what's up with the EMU OS X beta driver?
A: 44.0
ubuntu posted in emupops' thread about 32-bit boot-up being key:
My 0404 USB Beta driver for Mas OS 10.6 log
Excerpt: "... I booted up in 32 bit mode (hold 3+2 while booting) and finally some success. At least Snow Leopard now "sees" the 0404 USB as an audio device..."

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:01 am

Q: 45.0
In Windows 7, 64-bit, I'm using EmulatorX v3, and can't use the FX in the Aux Busses. Why?

A: 45.0
See the thread Question for Emulator X3 x64 users for the "fix", which involves a registry entry. SoundnuoS linked us to the Creative/EMU support solution "fix" file. You can also use Tidda's method:
Tidda wrote:...
.reg files are just text files, so if one uses notepad to insert the following two lines in a file:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Creative Professional\E-MU FX\x64]
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Creative Professional\\E-MU X FX\\"

save it, rename the extension from .txt to .reg and double-click it should do the trick.

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Combined EMU FAQs v4.0

Post by SystemFile » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:46 pm

Q: 46.0
Any tips on getting the E-MU USB Devices to work better in Win7 or Vista?

A: 46.0
Besides trying the "beta" driver at the EMU download page, you can try:

The E-MU "Standard Operating Procedure" (SOP)* for USB Devices in Vista & Win7:
  1. In "Control Panel", "Hardware and Sound", "Power Options", find the "Advanced Settings" screen ("Change advanced power settings"), and set the "USB Settings", "USB Selective Suspend Setting" to "Disabled". While in the Power Settings stuff, set the computer to the "Always On" scheme, and set the system standby to "Never". Those won't let your computer "go to sleep", which causes all sorts of audio stream issues with add-on sound cards, especially external USB thangs.
  2. Try to have the 0404 USB use a USB Host that is on an IRQ by itself. You'd have to try each USB port by itself and see what you get. It's best if you are on a USB2 port, of course...
  3. Most of the "modern" computers use a hyper-threaded CPU. Try turning hyper-threading off in the BIOS. While in the BIOS set-up, disable Legacy USB Support, and any USB power management stuff in there.
  4. Right-click on My Computer (Computer), then "Properties", and then "Advanced system settings" in the right-hand column of that resulting screen. Click on the "Advanced" tab of the System Properties window, and then on "Settings" under the "Performance" section. Click on the "Advanced" tab there, and then choose the "Background services" radio button, then the "OK" and "OK" buttons.
  5. Disable System Sounds by selecting the "No Sounds" scheme on the "Sounds" tab of the "Sound" applet in "Control Panel", "Hardware and Sound". This step will prevent the Windows' Sounds from attempting to "automatically" change the audio sample rate from what the user is wanting to use.
Also see Q/A #50 below

*We made that one up, but this is based upon what E-MU Bruce and other E-MU reps have said...

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:57 pm

Q: 47.0
Can you guide me through setting up my Patchmix with using external effects units and Cubase?

A: 47.0
mazemaster posted back in this thread with what he found...
SOLVED
reading SOS article again I found out that I have to use a send return as you asked. I was using sends only. So here is how to use an external device with cubase and patcmix
1. You first setup your ins and outs and note them down in case you can get confused
2. Setup ins and outs for your buss on cubase
3. Add a strip to patcmix and insert a send return on it and setup the physical ins and outs you have noted down The key here is that these physical outs and ins should not be in use or they are greyed out. Even inserting them on patchmix makes them useless. If you were using them previously, you have to delete their strip on patchmix to make them available. So you have to sacrifice some channels.In my case I wasted adat 7-8 for this. EDIT: I do not know why technically but returning (while also sending) from 7-8 adat ins did not work for me. I could monitor the wet signal (it is because cubase return buss is independant from your physical outs i.e they do not have to be the same (sends should be the same though)but I could not record it. Changing returns 5-6 worked and I could also record the wet signal over cubase master buss through a live export.
4. Go to cubase F4 "external devices. Setup a send return buss as you like and thats it. Using the insert menu on each channel on Cubase you can now insert your effect like a VST and monitor live. But of course you are limited to one use. And if you want to cut to tape, you will have to solo that channel or buss and chose to do a live mixdown to new track. It is roughly this.
Thanks for the info and hope this helps to someone desperate like me.

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:08 pm

Q: 48.0
Is there a "Tutorial" somewhere here for me, for WDM and/or ASIO recording?

A: 48.0
jmail was kind enough to gather this info:
Rix Illustrated Win7-64 w/Audacity WDM Quicky illustrates recording with the EMU using WDM in Windows 7, 64-bit. That should also work in Vista, and it should apply similarly to 32-bit versions of Win7 & Vista also. The Windows XP screens would be different, though the process is the same.

ASIO tutorial forthcoming...

SystemFile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SystemFile » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:19 pm

Q: 49.0
Can the MicroDock experience issues similar to the AudioDock with it's caps issue?

A: 49.0
While the "construction" of the 1616M appears to use better-branded caps, any electronic device can experience failure. As example, refer to ADAT Install - some channels noisy, where member zedhed had issues with his ADAT I/O on the MicroDock not functioning. There are other threads where it was suspected that other folks had issues. Another thing to remember about the MicroDock, is that silver solder was used, and that may play a role in failures. The older your device, and the more it's been used, the more likely you're to experience similar. So, if you have troubles, and have exhausted all software/re-install ideas, don't forget to check your caps inside the MicroDock case. This in no way implies that there are issues with the MicroDock, only that it is a possibility...