My Current Projects

Discuss Photography, Nikon, Canon, film, 35mm, full frame, photography gear etc. Talk about Graphics, Web, DVD, Video & Other Multimedia like graphic design, 3D, Web Design, video etc. Need to create a DVD presentation? Ask questions on what software to use, review your video camera, creating a short film. Do you need a script for your film? - Find ideas, what is the best lighting techniques and more...

Moderators: jc, Moderator

jc
Site Admin

My Current Projects

Post by jc » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:45 pm

I have been working my ass off lately on these two websites.

The first one is Sydney Travel Info
I have had the domain since 2005 but it hardly gets any visitors but I have hanged onto it as I love the name as it can be used for an information site on the city and it has loads of potential. I have just put together the new site after finding a theme to start with and then customising it. I did most of this today and it's coming together OK.

The other one is my free images domain I have also had for many years, these domains have aged nicely and Google likes that. This has been a nice little side earner with averaging $30 a month or more. It was getting 150 visitors a day before I built the new site but now only 50. I think it was due to some spam bots etc and the new site has helped stopped a lot of fake visitors. Most of the traffic is direct type in (Free Images Online) so it will always get traffic no matter what even if Google did not rank it. I love type in domains.

Anyway I just put together the site the whole of last week, you might not have seen me a lot as I was up late working on this. :lol: I put together a shopping cart system so even if they want a free copy of the image they still have to put their name and email in so this will also stop a lot of spam bots etc looking for images. I also have some of the images to offer higher res copies that the visitor can pay for etc if they want. All the images are quite old but now I have a good system in place plus I got a bulk upload system working too so I can start collecting my photos and uploading them now.

So still a bit of work to go but I'm happy how these are going so far. It certainly is a lot easier these days to put together websites like these with wordpress themes and plugins but it helps to have some experience like I do as well for certain things.
Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius
Skype Handle: david.sundancer

Re: My Current Projects

Post by TwoRox » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:56 pm

Man, you and I are indeed a lot alike in some regards! :D

I've also held on to a bunch of domains over quite a few years - all projects I was eager to get "off the ground". Then I got very ill again, didn't make any money any more, PayPal account was empty, GoDaddy could no longer deduct the annual renewal fees for my 20+ domains... and it all went down the drain. :?

But I'm in the process of reclaiming the most important ones, so in a sense, losing all those domains was a great "natural cleansing process"... :wink:

I'll tell y'all more about my domain bundle (and the projects behind it) later, but now I'm gonna take a look at the two sites you've been working on all week.

See ya in a bit! :D

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:59 pm

Sidney travel info looks neat! :thumbsup

Very clean design. Melikes!

Do you use Wordpress as the foundation?

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:03 pm

Free Images looks great, too.

Also, the shopping cart integration looks seamless to me.

Noice job, mate! :thumbsup

jc
Site Admin

Post by jc » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:55 pm

ah thanks for the feedback. Doing a lot of stuff on the Sydney Travel one over the last few days. I put an events page together (needs more content) and I also added an events calendar to it through Google Calender (working with the devil) . I'm now working on building a hotel page with integrating with a hotel affiliate program and a number of other things ...

"Do you use Wordpress as the foundation?"

yep

if you get one of your domains up then I can also give feedback on it if wanted.

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:30 am

jc wrote:I put an events page together (needs more content)
Yeah, that's always the thing: once the site's been built, you gotta keep adding content, content, content... to make people come back on a regular basis, get the "good" Google ranking et cetera... that's where the real (ongoing) work lies. So better make the site about something you like and care about, otherwise it can easily turn into a "chore".
I also added an events calendar to it through Google Calender (working with the devil) .
Yeah, well... better the devil you know... right?
I'm now working on building a hotel page with integrating with a hotel affiliate program and a number of other things ...
Man, them ole affiliate programs... during my web building "prime" I was signed up for at least 50 affiliate programs, possible even > 100! But it's easy to get scattered with so many. (I fell into that trap.) Better to focus on a few and really "work" those.

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:33 am

if you get one of your domains up then I can also give feedback on it if wanted.
Thanks, will do. :D

Right now, the only one up (with a crude Wordpress install, nothing "beautified", yet) is

www.davidsundancer.com

I just wanted to put up a "sign post" that said "I'm back!" for starters, that's all. :mrgreen:

Once I got my preparations for Lanzarote "in the can" (which is taking up pretty much all my time right now) and have some spare time left before I hit the road, I'm going to "beautify" that one, as it will also serve as my "travelog" about my "road trip on a spirited quest".

So that'll be my main site, sharing my life experiences "on the road", essentially.

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:46 am

Then there is...

www.alonepersonsproject.com (domain registered, but no hosting set up, yet)

Yes, there is a tongue-in-cheek reference to "Alan Parsons Project" in there. :lol:

But it is about more than that. The topical theme for that one is: what can a "lone" (=single) person accomplish... in their spare time... their spare bedroom... whatever. We're pretty much "in paradise" these days, as far as what technology allows us to do is concerned, for rock bottom prices that were unthinkable a mere couple of decades ago.

A world-class recording studio for a thousand bucks? Totally doable these days.

Filming equipment to make "movie theater quality" films for a grand? I'm just getting the equipment together (my wonderful Panasonic LX100 arrives before the end of the week... 8) ) to prove that point.

And so on, and so forth...

There's a lot "a lone person" can accomplish these days, and I'm deeply greatful for what's possible today.

jc
Site Admin

Post by jc » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:45 pm

I will come back to this thread I promise and check your site out. I will watch this movie now :)

jc
Site Admin

Post by jc » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:16 am

TwoRocks wrote: Yeah, that's always the thing: once the site's been built, you gotta keep adding content, content, content... to make people come back on a regular basis, get the "good" Google ranking et cetera... that's where the real (ongoing) work lies. So better make the site about something you like and care about, otherwise it can easily turn into a "chore".
That is why I have an interest in Naturally Dragon Speaking. I'm lucky to live next to a very good modern library here ;) of course I will twist the words to my own style but I think I can get a lot more content out by talking... :)