Record Patcmix FX in Presonus Studio One

For all E-MU DAS Devices, including the 0404 PCI/PCIe, 1212M, PCI/PCIe 1616(M) CardBus/PCI/PCIe, 1820(M) and also Patchmix & E-MU PFX

Moderators: jc, Moderator

dk1958
Forum Member

Record Patcmix FX in Presonus Studio One

Post by dk1958 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:22 pm

does anyone have a tutorial or step by step guide on how to record the E-mu 1212m patchmix effects on vsti instrument tracks
using Presonus Studio One Pro. I guess it would be very much the same as any other DAW but I can't seem to get the routing correct
to record the patcmix fx into studio one. Thanks for any help. :?

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Re: Record Patcmix FX in Presonus Studio One

Post by jmail » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:52 pm

We moved your post into the Patchmix section, since it most applies here...

In the meantime, notice in the strips in Patchmix, that there are 6 "slots" to put Inserts into. Where those Inserts are placed is key to where audio goes, and whether it's "wet" or "dry". Your ASIO SEND is probably at or near the top of the "slots" in your strips, and the Patchmix Power Effects (PFX) are probably put in below that ASIO SEND. Therefore, the SEND is "sending" dry, "un-effected" audio to your app. I'd keep the "dry" Send and record it also, just in case you change your mind about what you want later, but in order to get some "wet" audio to your app, stick another ASIO SEND in the strip *below* where your effects are. Use of that particular ASIO pair "Send" should get you some "wet" audio into your app. For some more info on some things EMU DAS Device related, refer to the site's EMU DAS FAQs section. Down towards the bottom of the section is the Patchmix/PFX section. You'll find a few links to some older reading material on Patchmix...

If you have other issues with the PFX and the Presonus software, be aware that there were issues with some software when used in the Presonus DAW when it first came out. I'm reasonably sure that it's been "fixed" since then, just a question of how well that fix was done... For some background (and mild entertainment), go to E-X3 not working in Presonus Studio One DAW. It's from 2 years ago. Please forgive the mild backbiting. Another thing is that the PFX do not "render" too well in apps other than the older Cubase products, and at that, the stars & planets generally had to be aligned just so. Most folks, when they go to "render" the PFX, will "print" them by re-recording the "effected" tracks either back into another track in the DAW, or to a 2nd app. The "render" is therefore "real-time", which is what the PFX apparently needs. For some further reading on that, refer to the PatchMix FX Compendium. It seems some of the posts are missing from it, which happened with a database crash a few years ago... Any issues, let us know and we'll help all we can. Have fun with it.

dk1958
Forum Member

Post by dk1958 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:37 am

Wow, thanks so much for the quick response. I knew I was just missing something simple. I actually like the FX in patchmix but couldn't get them
to record in Studio One. I will try your tips, and thanks again.

dk1958
Forum Member

Post by dk1958 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:14 pm

I'm usually sharper than this, but I can't for the life of me get the wet signal recorded in my host Studio One. I can hear the fx say reverb when I
put it in for instance ASIO 3/4, but I can't record the wet signal. Lets say I have an insert ASIO 1/2, I put an effect in this strip. I can hear the effect
but how do I get it into my Host to record it? Do I have to insert a send in this strip to get it into the host? I am even reading the manual and can't seem to find the answer. I know I am overlooking something very simple. Is it possible for someone to put a screenshot or something of a basic setup to do this? Any help is appreciated. Once I can get one strip working I will be able to create as many as I might need. :?

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:18 pm

The "Dock 1L/1R" strip is our "focus", with its current "ASIO Send 5/6"

If we add-in a "Stereo Reverb" PFX, such as this...

... and record it with the ASIO 5/6 Send, we end up with a "dry" track, altho we "hear" the reverb...

If I add-in another "ASIO SEND" *BELOW* the PFX, (in this case, ASIO 11/12)...

... and select that ASIO SEND pair for my recording, then I record the "wet" signal...

Use of both ASIO Send Pairs (5/6 is "dry", 11/12 is "wet" in this example), then I have the best of both worlds...

btw, you can just click and drag on any of those "Inserts" and drag them where you want them, such that after you "Insert" the PFX, just click and drag your ASIO Send down below the PFX... You can even click and drag from strip to strip... Now, if they'd only do some midi automation for PatchMix... (we've been waiting on that for what, six or seven years?)

dk1958
Forum Member

Post by dk1958 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:06 am

Sweet...That is exactly what I needed. Maybe I'm too much of a visual person. Yeah automation of the
patchmix would be incredible. Thanks for the screenshots. I'll get to work on what you suggested. Thanks much..

SlayerBear17
Forum Master
Forum Master
Skype Handle: slayerbear17
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/cbh17

Post by SlayerBear17 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:15 am

I must try this!! Thanks Jmail! 8)
check us out on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ChaosBeing666/
Check out my studio build...here.. http://productionforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=10617
Send me some KOKANEE......Yes you will....Send now !
http://www.chaosbeing.com
Let the Chaos begin...

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:36 pm

"Recording" the FX as you're playing, but also recording the "dry" signal with it, allows you to mix some of the "dry" back in, if you do like me, and put too much "seasoning" into the "mix"... tic

Don't forget about the Aux 1 & Aux 2 busses, for "global" sends, such as your reverb... 'Course, that's tougher to control after you've recorded it, but can be done to a point, so long as you record the "dry" signals also...

I've also put a mix through the PFX "Stereo Reverb", since I like it, and re-recorded it to a WDM app (my Sound Forge). 'Course, that can't be done in my Win7 partition, since the WDM distorts and is so unreliable... Which reminds me, I'm wanting to find that thread where someone copied the PFX files into their Windows installs...

dk1958
Forum Member

Post by dk1958 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:51 pm

I tried the setup you used in the screenshots below but still can't record a wet signal in my host. Believe me, I know I am missing something here.
What I tried is as follows:

Create a Strip= PCI Card Adat 1/2
Insert a Send=ASIO 3/4
Insert= Lite Reverb PFX
Insert a Send=ASIO 5/6

Create a Strip=ASIO 3/4
Create a Strip=ASIO 5/6

Load a piano in my Host=Studio One
Route piano to ASIO 5/6

Still can't record or hear Lite Reverb effect on Piano track either Monitoring or Recording???
Can I not simply Create a strip=ASIO 3/4 Insert an Effect in that strip
Load an Instrument and route it to ASIO 3/4 and record the wet signal with reverb?

Is it a matter of not having a Send and Return to get the FX into my host for recording?
I thought for sure with your clear cut instruction and screenshots I would get it right, but I still must
be missing one important step.

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:32 pm

You need to send the VSTi piano to the ADAT 1/2 strip, then route that audio back into your app via the ASIO SEND 5/6. Since you're dealing with a VSTi, then you already have a "dry" signal with that. Just "record" the audio from it (and you can delete the ASIO 3/4). Record the "wet" signal from the ASIO SEND 5/6 in the ADAT 1/2 strip (which has to be a physical out strip, even though you won't use it for that). The "regular" ADAT strips you create are for Input. Also, realize that you'll incur additional latency with the extra trip to/from Patchmix for the effects.

A better way to do what you're after would be to use the E-MU PFX VST plug-in directly on the Cubase track of either your VSTi, or the rendered track. The E-MU plug should be in the //Steinberb/VST Plugins/ folder. You may not be able to reliably "render" the E-MU PFX, but you can always "record" the "effected" track back into your DAW.