Have the 1616m cardbus, but wish to use it on PC too

For all E-MU DAS Devices, including the 0404 PCI/PCIe, 1212M, PCI/PCIe 1616(M) CardBus/PCI/PCIe, 1820(M) and also Patchmix & E-MU PFX

Moderators: jc, Moderator

Nacho-RT74
Forum Member

Have the 1616m cardbus, but wish to use it on PC too

Post by Nacho-RT74 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:56 pm

What you read. I have a 1616m cardbus set to use it in my laptop, mainly to run SMAART when making live shows.

However Id like to use it on my home PC too,bit not running a cardbus adaptor, preffer use with the PCI card.

Several questions.

I have seen several 1212m set ups around.
1010m + 0202 daugther card
1010m with FW port + 0202 daughter card
1010m with FW port + a card with clock and SMPTE ( sync card ? )

I made a quick read around and it seems the 1010m with FW port won't work with the 1616m dock? If so, why?

Next question. If getting the 1212m and plug the 1616m dock, is real is not posible to keep the 0202 card still up and running due prefferences of the patchmix?

Why I ask this last? Because using my cardbus setup on the laptop I still have available the minijack output available no matter if the microdock is plugged or not.

My idea is keep the 0202 daughter card still conected to my home audio system no matter if the dock is connected or not, just maybe selecting on patchmix the output I want to use. I don't want to phisically change the plugs from the dock to the card (or backwards ), if I have to go to the job with my dock to keep the PC still working with the 0202 in case somebody wants to use the PC at home.

Got my idea?

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Re: Have the 1616m cardbus, but wish to use it on PC too

Post by jmail » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:15 am

The 1616 MicroDock, either the plain model, or the "M" model is NOT compatible with the 1010 card with the firewire port. That particular firewire ported 1010 card is compatible with 1820 and "M" AudioDock (which is what I have). That card carried power for the AudioDock across the cable. You want the 1010 card WITHOUT the firewire, which was trashy anyway. The MicroDock can also be used with the PCIe cards. Just be careful which 1212M set-up you purchase. I do not recall which way the PatchMix "defaults" when you boot up the computer if you have both the 0202 daughter-card and the MicroDock attached... E-MU used to recommend your NOT doing that, mostly because (they said) the power from the 1616 comes in on a wall wart power supply to the MicroDock, and the 1212M gets its power from the PCI Bus. However, why would the 0202 be using power?... Anyway, there's nothing preventing you from rigging up something to interrupt the 0202 daughter card's connections, if there's an issue with "recognition", and I do know that if you pull the power brick on the 1616 MicroDock, it "disappears" in PatchMix, and the little light goes out... Experimentation is the mother of invention, and I do know that there were other folks on here years ago that did what you're thinking of. If you can think of "Search" terms, try to find them and post back. If I can think of something to "Search" with, I'll post back my findings, if there are any... :lol:
Intel DP43BF mobo, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz Quad-core, 4 gig ram, 2x WD Black 750g SATA HD, DVD+RW, CD-RW, Gigabyte GV-R455D3-512I Radeon HD 4550 vid, Rosewill case & 480w FSP PS. Dual-boot WinXP SP3+ & Win7 64-bit SP1+, EMU 1820M (only card)-works great, v2.1 PM, Beta driver(v2.3), Reaper 3.78, Sound Forge v9, Behr ADA8000, Liquid Mix 16, Waves Gold, Lexicon LXP N, PV ReValver 4 amp sim, Rode NT-2A mic, Martin D-35 guitbox, PV T-60, and ProteusX2 (XP only) w/Vintage X Pro Vol 1, 2 & 3 and other EMU soundsets! Pair of EMU PM-5 monitors, and other misc. gear. How I built the beast The Mini-Beast

Nacho-RT74
Forum Member

Re: Have the 1616m cardbus, but wish to use it on PC too

Post by Nacho-RT74 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:08 pm

Finally could enter to the board!

Yes I found the info about the different 1010 versions available and the use of each one just after get the thread posted LOL.

ABOUT the daughter card and dock being installed at the same time, will check for that when I fix my computer and install everything. It seem per what I have found, won't become in a crash, but just would need to repatch phisically the stereo out from the card to the dock and backwards if I want to make what I had in plans.

Will figure it out!