Proteus 2 crackle clicks / pops / crackle problem

For info & discussion of all Drivers and Other E-MU Gear

Moderators: jc, Moderator

matvtssf
Forum Member

Proteus 2 crackle clicks / pops / crackle problem

Post by matvtssf » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:24 am

Hello,

Wondering if I could get an expert's help. My Proteus 2 is randomly crackling. It's nothing that I can help and it's interfering with my ability to record.

here's an example:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1AGQ4 ... sp=sharing

This example has been amplified but you can hear the random little clicks / pops. It seems there's also an electric hum so it sounds like a possible caps issue, but was wondering if anyone knew how to repair the proteus to do this.

There doesn't seem to be a great resource on the internet for stuff like this. Kurzweil K1000's had k1000.net ..I'm wondering if there's anything similar for the old style E-mu hardware?

Thanks in advance!

jc
Site Admin

Re: Proteus 2 crackle clicks / pops / crackle problem

Post by jc » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:31 pm

hi, jmail will get you some tips when he is here next, just hang on....
Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Re: Proteus 2 crackle clicks / pops / crackle problem

Post by jmail » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:05 pm

I can't play audio on my tablet thingie here (pita), but if you've done all the inter-connecting cables checks and amplification checks, then that leaves the EMU. There used to be several sites dedicated to the hardware side of things, and we do have links for them buried somewhere here, but I can't find them right away, but from Google, a page 3 hit: http://www.synthtopia.com which may have something useful, or a link to to some where else...

Now, that said... if you're using S/PDIF, or any other form of digital I/O for your recording, don't forget that one device must be "Master" and the other set to "Slave". In other words, one is a leader, the other follows. In today's PC society, it's Internal and External. Not only that, but the sample rate has to be the same between the synth, the computer and the software, else you'll get humming, clicks & pops.

If you are instead using an analog cable, be absolutely certain that your cable matches the audio interface. If you've got an "un-balanced" Input for the computer, use a shielded, unbalanced cable, like a guitar chord - NOT a speaker cable, else you'll get humming, clicks & pops.

Another thing to look out for is your electricity. You want your computer plugged into the same outlet as your audio interface, and the same as your keyboard. That way, you'll minimize ground fault issues, else you'll get humming, clicks & pops...