For info & discussion of all Drivers and Other E-MU Gear

Moderators: jc, Moderator

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

E-MU General FAQ's TIPS and SUGGESTIONS

Post by jmail » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:58 pm

E-MU General FAQ's TIPS and SUGGESTIONS
This FAQ's will be here to offer E-MU product owners one place to find useful information to help with set-up issues, PatchMix set-ups, and other common questions that other members can link to when posting on the forum.

If you would like to add to the FAQ's then PM one of the MODERATORS with the Question & Answer, or Tips/Suggestions and that will be added to this post.

Please note: All of the “answers” given are at the time of publication deemed to be reliable. No harm or damage is intended. However, you are the responsible party for any unintended consequences.

In addition to the Full FAQs Section, here are some General FAQs that would apply to most of the E-MU Devices:

Q: 3.0
I'm finding some issues with my product running on my system, could you offer some help?
A: 3.0
Try these few links below: It is NOT recommended that you get aggressive with optimizing your computer, especially newer ones that have lots of horsepower. You don’t want to “trash” the computer in an attempt to wring every drop of power out of the OS. However, it is recommended that you immediately go to the above locations and copy the articles. The pdf files are easy enough, just “save” them to your computer. For the html files, you’ll have to click and drag over the text, and <Ctrl><C> to copy it. Paste the text into a text editor and save it. We’re not advocating plagiarism nor copyright infringement here, just precautionary copying for future self-use. We used to have several good links for other articles, but they’ve gone “dead” and the trail is quite cold. XP tips especially, but even Vista ones are getting scarce on the internet. Get the info while you can… You have been warned.

Back to Index

Q: 5.0
Where can I find the latest drivers for my E-MU Products?
A: 5.0
You can find all the latest drivers on the E-MU website:
http://www.emu.com. Click on the “Support”, “Software & Manuals” menu.

Back to Index

Q: 6.0
Where can I find old drivers for my E-MU Products?
A: 6.0
You can find some older drivers here:
http://preview.creativelabs.com/emu/default.aspx

Back to Index

Q: 7.0
I have my Audio Card hooked it up to my MIDI keyboard & when I fire up my sequencer program and pick the Software GS synth as output for one of the midi tracks, I strike a key on the keyboard, there is a delay of about 0.2 seconds before I hear the tone play. How do I get rid of this lag?
A: 7.0
A probable answer is here

Back to Index

Q: 8.0
How do I check to see if I have an IRQ conflict?
A: 8.0
To get to your IRQs, go to "Start", "Run", and type in "msinfo32"(no quote marks, of course). Click "OK". In the resultant left-hand window pane, click on the "Hardware Resources" plus sign (+), click on "IRQs" and, after "polling" the computer, the right-hand pane will display what IRQ each peripheral is assigned to in the right window. Sort the table by clicking on the column headings. (thanks to jmail)

Back to Index

Q: 9.0
How do I copy my IRQ table so I can post it on the forum?
A: 9.0
Right click on My Computer, then Manage. Among the items you should see at the left side of the window is Device Manager. Click on that and a list of all devices installed in your computer will appear. At the menu on top, click on View then Resources by Type. Expand the Interrupt Request (IRQ) tree by clicking on the + sign. Next, either attach a print screen copy of the IRQ list or make a note of all entries and paste it here. That will help us diagnose your problem further. (Thanks to KitC)

You can also “click & drag” in the IRQ table windowpane to “highlight” the text. Press <Ctrl><C> concurrently to copy the text. Use <Ctrl><V> to paste it into your posting.

Back to Index

Q: 10.0
When I post a new topic what should I include in my post?
A: 10.0
When posting a topic about system problems like freezing or pops and crackles then we need to know, what do you have for a computer? Make/model, motherboard, CPU, BIOS version, type & amount of RAM, type & amount of hard drives, other PCI cards installed in the system, use of any firewire or USB devices, type of video card & RAM, operating system and service packs installed, IRQ assignments, software running, software used for recording, which driver are you using (ASIO or WDM), PatchMix session used, did you read the Quick-Start guide, have you read the tutorial, etc., etc., etc. Or, what you can get of all that. One of the main things to look out for when you're installing an EMU DAS device is to be sure and cancel the Windows "New Hardware Found" wizard and use the EMU installer (either on the CD included with the card, or the web download). (thanks to jmail)

Back to Index

Q: 15.0
I don’t seem to be able to update the drivers?
A: 15.0
The following was posted by E-MU Bruce...
If you have a problem with updating, you may need to do a Virgin Re-Install Routine (VRIR).
  • Uninstall PatchMix and the drivers from the uninstaller or from add/remove programs.
  • Power down and remove PCI card.
  • Boot up and let windows do it's own clean up.
  • Power down and insert PCI card.
  • Cancel windows hardware wizard if it pops up (and it should) and then install the most recent PatchMix and driver updates.
  • You may need to load a new factory template in PatchMix and then rebuild any custom session templates you had from before.
Back to Index

Q: 18.0
Why won't Windows Media Player work when PatchMix is in 96kHz/192kHz mode?
A: 18.0
This is because PatchMix locks the sample rate - Windows Media Player outputs the sound at 44.1kHz, rather than whatever mode you are currently using, so you will not hear anything. However, there are alternative programs that you can use to resample the audio for you.

Winamp: http://www.winamp.com
Winamp ASIO Plugin: http://otachan.com/out_asio(dll).html (the page language is Asian but it's straight-forward enough to find)
7-Zip: http://www.7-zip.org/
Guide: Extract the file using 7-Zip and copy the file (out_asio(dll).dll) loose into your Winamp "Plugins" folder. Then open up Winamp, go to Options > Preferences > Plugins > Output and selection the ASIO plugin. Click configure, enable resampling and select the sample rate you are using. Finally, select the E-MU driver in the Device drop down box at the top.

VideoLAN (or VLC): http://www.videolan.org/
Guide: Go to Settings > Preferences > Audio and then type in the sample rate you want (96000 for 96kHz, 192000 for 192kHz) and tick the "High quality audio resampling" option.
Thanks to theyarecomingforyou

Back to Index

Q: 19.0
E-MU X eats my CPU power, how can I optimize my system for E-MU X?
A: 19.0
E-MU Bruce has written a great post here on this.

Back to Index

Q: 35.0
Security on your PC and your media player
Q: 35.0
Hi,
there's something I want to add. You mentioned Winamp as a free audio player which is very mainstream today.
Software which is used by a lot of users can be a potential risk to your system's security because it is getting into the focus of hackers.
But I don't want to talk too much about security, I just want to introduce the free audio-player foobar2000 to you.
It is way more simple and resource-friendly than Winamp is. It supports a lot of audio formats like WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, MP4, AAC, OGG and also the apple sound formats(I don't know their names). Additionally you can download plugins to extend to APE and SHN support, too. There is also an ASIO plugin available and the player also has integrated DSP effects for resampling and other stuff.

Just have a look for yourself:

http://www.foobar2000.org/
Thanks to sciencesky

NOTE:
Production Forums wishes to impress upon everybody that no single app or web site will ever again be “100% SAFE” to use, and we recommend that you proceed with caution with any installation on your computer. It would always be a good idea to make a fresh image of your computer prior to any potentially questionable installation or activity…

Back to Index

Q: 37.0
Man, I have nothing but trouble when changing the sample rate... ??
Q: 37.0
E-MU Bruce commented about that too:
E-MU Bruce in a different thread wrote: Sample rate selection works differently in Windows Vista and Windows 7 than it does on Windows XP. Users may need to manually select sample rate in both PatchMix and in Windows Vista & Windows 7.

If the sample rate in PatchMix and Windows 7 does not match the audio source, you will get garbled audio or no audio at all. That is how digital audio works. In Windows XP there was on-the-fly sample rate conversion as part of the media players CoDec.

To manually set sample rate, first set PatchMix to the desired sample rate and configure PatchMix strips as desired.

Then:
* Right click the speaker icon
* Select Playback Devices
* Click the E-MU Product
* Select Properties
* Select sample rate on the Advanced Tab
* Click Apply, then click ok.

We are finding that most of the time you do not have to manually select the sample rate in Windows 7 as it will be set when you select the sample rate in PatchMix.

Note that as of today E-MU USB audio products work differently and usually require manual sample rate selection. The Beta USB driver that will soon be released will have a "Unappoved Microsoft Hack" to set the Windows properties sample rate when you select the sample rate in the E-MU USB Control Panel.
E-MU Bruce in another different thread wrote:Note that in Vista and Windows 7 sound properties you can rename the audio device with a friendly name of your choice as well as change the icon. We plan to create and post some E-MU product icons for this purpose.

Q: 42.0
What's up with Windows 7 64-bit, and why is there still trouble running apps and drivers in it?
A: 42.0
For reference, we point you to Wikipedia's "3 Gig Barrier" article, especially the last part:

"The final piece of the 3 GB barrier puzzle is a limit deliberately coded by Microsoft into the "non-server," or "client," x86 editions of Microsoft Windows: Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. The 32-bit (x86) versions of these are able to operate x86 processors in PAE mode, and do so by default as long as the CPU present supports the NX bit.[13] Nevertheless, these operating systems do not permit addressing of physical memory above the 4 GB address boundary. This is not an architectural limit; it is a limit imposed by Microsoft as a workaround for driver compatibility issues that were discovered during testing."

Back to Index
Full FAQs Section
DAS Devices & Patchmix
USB Devices
Soft-Synths & xBoards