Show me your keys, and I'll show you mine...

Moderators: jc, Moderator

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius
Skype Handle: david.sundancer

Show me your keys, and I'll show you mine...

Post by TwoRox » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:48 am

What the hey... I'm starting a new "keyboard" thread, after all. :lol:

So this is my new master keyboard / stage piano / killer synth combo device aka 2Rox "latest family member":

8)

Man, that thing is heavy! I was totally out of breath after dragging it up two flights of stairs in its ginormous, unwieldy box... :lol:

But meloves!

It's from the Kurzweil PC3 family of performance keyboards. Now, as you may know, Kurzweil is kinda like the "Mercedes" among keyboards: good and pricey.

With the "LE" branch of the PC3 family tree, they turned over a new leaf and put most of the great stuff of their expensive keyboards into a more affordable "offspring".

At some point in the 80s, when I was really making good money, I allowed myself the luxury of buying one of the first Kurzweil keyboards "for the masses" - a K1000. I paid around 5000 German Marks for it back then (round about 2500 dollari) and really loved that keyboard. It had really heavy keys that gave you a "natural piano feel". Had to sell that baby one day in Vegas for 200 bucks to buy food... :( That hurt, I'm tellin' ya!

So, with this gorgeous new baby, I'm kinda "taking my ole Kurzweil back", with "some cherries on top", amongst them all the goodness that came with the K2600 series. 8)

And, me being the bargain hunter of bargain hunters, I got it "for a steal"... MSRP is around 1900 dollars here in Europe, street price usually around $1600, and I got it (while it was on backorder) for...

TBC 8)

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Re: Show me your keys, and I'll show you mine...

Post by jmail » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:13 pm

TBC?? TBC TBC???!!??!?!... What kind of price is ~that~?... :wink:

I have keyboards, as in plural, I'll have you know... A Casio CT something or other, and another similar thingie... both have midi I/O, no mod wheel or pitch wheel on either, so I have to use a mouse for that... but they do get the job done, so long as I use my Proteus2X... Else the FM synthesis is extremely cheesie... Again, with the :wink:... :lol:

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:16 pm

jmail wrote:TBC?? TBC TBC???!!??!?!... What kind of price is ~that~?... :wink:
Two BitCoins... :-P :wink:

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:16 pm

boo-ah-ha-ha-ha!!! :lol:

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:18 pm

At the current exchange rate, that translates into round about 950 Eurons or 1100 dollari, depending on local humidity and the neighbor's temper... :wink: :mrgreen:

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:20 pm

Oooh, oooh, oooh! I just came up with a name for my new heavy-duty babe! :idea:

I'm gonna name him "Kurt"! :shifty

"Kurt Zwile!" :lol:

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:31 pm

"Zwile the river flows by..."

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:39 pm

jmail wrote:I have keyboards, as in plural, I'll have you know... A Casio CT something or other, and another similar thingie... both have midi I/O, no mod wheel or pitch wheel on either, so I have to use a mouse for that... but they do get the job done, so long as I use my Proteus2X... Else the FM synthesis is extremely cheesie... Again, with the :wink:... :lol:
Yikes, no mod wheel or pitch wheel on either? :(

I think I'd be frustratred pretty quickly if I had to do the "mousing around" thingie for that all the time.

I gots "the overkill" now... :shock:

"Kurt" ( :lol: I'm gonna stick with the name :lol: ) has got "everything and the kitchen sink" - mod and pitch wheel, 8 trigger pads from drum-sy stuffs, a few twisty knobs, even a jog wheel kinda thang, plus full midi in/out/through, connectors for accelerator and break expression and sustain pedals, and even some fancy-shmancy USB connections wheres you can store and/or transfer settings and sounds and what-have-you-not! :shock:

Plus there's my trusty ole x-rated girlfriend, my li'l XBoard49 with her mod and pitch wheel and a full sixteen knobs for "maniacal knob twisting" a la Keith Emerson... :lol:

And on top of my li'l 49er, there's that Korg NanoControl2 thingie with another 8 sliders that can be configured, for example, as organ draw bars for that "Jon Lord Hammond B3 feel"... and there are 8 more knobs for maniacal twisting... :shock:

Man, I think I'm getting "knobs disease", I feel it coming on... :wink: :lol:

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:10 pm

The mouse, if used directly back and forth, does a good pitch wheel, and if moved directly sideways, does a good mod wheel, however, "accuracy" is def necessary, if both are enabled, since most times, I get a bit of both going, and it's weird at times... Since a hand must be used (usually...) on a pitch wheel and/or mod wheel, use of the mouse is not all that odd, other than it being on a "different plane", shall we say, with the keyboard being on the table, and the mouse on the computer keyboard tray down below... can be a bit "odd"...

Anyway, I'll sometimes imagine myself as "Rick Wakeman", with a double keyboard arrangement in front of me, with one set to a piano and/or synth sound, and the other set to a B3 or strings... Makes for some fun, though I am quite sloppy while doing such. Def not a keyboardist here... 'Course, I'm not much of a guitarist either... :wink: Anyway, it'd make program changing much easier while recording...

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:19 pm

jmail wrote:Anyway, I'll sometimes imagine myself as "Rick Wakeman"
No way, man! :shock: You got those dreams, too? :shock: :lol:
with a double keyboard arrangement in front of me, with one set to a piano and/or synth sound, and the other set to a B3 or strings...
Yeah, exactly! How uncanny! :o

One night, when I had one of those dreams, I morphed from Johann-Sebastian Bach, playing Toccata & Fugue in D-Minor like a maniac, into Rick Wakeman playing something beautifully dreamy, into Keith Emerson shaking the sh*t out of that heavy monster synth... only to wake up in my own body sitting in front of my (back then) one-octave casio toy keyboard going "tooot"! :shock: :lol:
I am quite sloppy while doing such. Def not a keyboardist here... 'Course, I'm not much of a guitarist either... :wink:
Same here, same here... :wink: