DAW Remote Control Situation Report

Moderators: jc, Moderator

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

DAW Remote Control Situation Report

Post by jmail » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:27 am

While the Bear and TuRox are down there in The Veranda, I thought I'd throw them off a bit, and do my 2nd to the last before 10k post here... It's not the full article I wanted, since my isp decided to get fancy on me, and go all digital with me still being analog, so I do not have very reliable internet just at this moment. Hopefully, tomorrow will change that. In the meantime, this was going to be the first post in my "DAW Remote Control Situation Report" thread, soon to be affectionately referred to as the "DAWRCSR Thread"... ahem. Anyway, copied from my notes:

I've noodled off and on for a couple of years now with "remote control" of my DAW (licensed Reaper v3.77) with some success, and I had even mentioned back when of doing an "article" on this... I haven't had a whole lot of time to do it, so I'm making time to do it now. I make no claim as to usability of any of the soon-to-be following mentioned apps, either as to suitability of the application, nor to any possible security issues you might have using any "remote control" app. I've only used "free" ones thus far, and STILL can't make up my mind as to whether or not to purchase any of the others. I like some of the features, but don't like others.

First up, I'll talk about what I "found" for an old iPod (not "pad", but "pod") Touch v4 running iOS v6.1.6 at this time. I'm afraid to "upgrade" to v7 at all. The "upgrade" to v6 (from 5) was traumatic enough as it was... Anyway, what I do NOT like about all things Apple is iTunes... all things iTunes. The pos "locks" just about everything you want to do. You *have* to go through the iTunes store to get the apps. I can't find diddly-squat on the iTunes store when I'm on my PC. I'm better off using a "search engine" like google or some such, and typing in what I want, then following an external link into the store... I'm def not Apple-savvy in that regard, and finding stuff on an iPod is even worse... Too tiny of a screen, and my search terms in the store apparently shtink... Part of the problem is that a DAW Remote Control app search will also bring in all sorts of other midi stuff, and other "audio" stuff, ie: chaffe. Not only that, but a lot of the apps have very similar names. Oh well.

Anyway, some of what I have found for the iPod Touch is:
AC-7 Core Mini ($1.99US)
DAW Remote ($9.99US)
DAW Control ($4.99US)
Touch OSC ($4.99US)

If you notice, none of them are free, nor do most of them have a "free to try" option... Maybe I'll bite if I can ever find a review I can trust. If any of you have opinions on any of the above (or others), be sure and reply here. A lot of the negative reviews on the store are from ditzes that don't know the difference between a "control" app, and a "synth" app, or something that actually "makes" music. A lot of the "glowingly good" reviews seem to be from the developer and his cadre of friends and family, with little realistic criticism: "I've downloaded your app. Looks great. I'd give 6 stars if I could. Can't wait to try it out dude!"...

Like other manufacturer-specific proprietary apps to control hardware that are free (MixCraft, PreSonus, etc.), Cubase iC might be cool. Don't know. Controls only Cubase v5 or newer. Also requires SKI Remote (Cubase extension) in order to be able to use it. Does not work in 64-bit Macs, but I've got Windows anyway. I've seen both good and bad reports on it (like all of the above apps). Needless to say, I'll save the iPod Touch (iPhone also) apps to sometime later.

I had much more success finding stuff for my Nook HD+. It's the 32gig version and we've got a 32gig mini-sd card in it, so lots of room. It is definitely NOT to be considered a "tablet pc". Weak, puny little thing. But it is good for a reader, and works rather well as a screen for remote-control of a DAW. It does have its drawbacks, biggest of which is that the shtinking screen "blanks" on a person at a most inopportune time, such as when trying to STOP recording - so be sure and change the screen-saver settings before you begin a recording session. You have been warned... There is also a bit of lag in response, and that lag time will vary, dependent upon network traffic. Also, as with all of the iOS apps listed above, if used with Windows, you need extra software, some of which is "antiquated" midi stuff... I'll do installs on XP-32 and Win7-64. I might try Win8.1-64, if time permits. I supposedly will get a "free" update from Microsoft to Windows 10 (do I *really* trust them with this one??...), so if that comes out soon, and I remember to try, I might do the stuff in that also - IF it works in v8.1...

The contenders for my Nook's memory:
Touch OSC ($4.99US)
TouchDAW ($5.41US) - is the 42 cents really worth it?... ticTouchDAW Free (free) - is the $5.41 really worth it?... tic
Wireless Mixer

Since I use Reaper as my DAW, I'll also try out Reaper OSC Control, in spite of the ratings on the google store site, and let you know how it goes. If I remember correctly, I'll have to use v4.xx or above. Since I've been thinking about updating my install of v3.78, now might be the time to experiment with that (a 3rd post??)...

You'll notice, if you "search" on the google store, that most of the apps like this will be under the "games" misnomer, and you'll also find things like "Bionic Bikini FREE v2", along with "Attack of the Zombies" and some such, so don't get distracted while "researching" for yourself. Enough of this though, and on to the experiment in the next post... More later.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will now take a pause in my postings, so that I might have a full-on warp speed landing at Got a 10k landing zone for ya, Master JMailius!, courtesy Herr TwoRocks (ZweiStein) :wink: at approximately 1600 hours EDST on the 12th of March, 2015... WAIT!!! Friday the 13th falls on a Friday this month!!! This is NOT good... Later

T-1
Intel DP43BF mobo, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz Quad-core, 4 gig ram, 2x WD Black 750g SATA HD, DVD+RW, CD-RW, Gigabyte GV-R455D3-512I Radeon HD 4550 vid, Rosewill case & 480w FSP PS. Dual-boot WinXP SP3+ & Win7 64-bit SP1+, EMU 1820M (only card)-works great, v2.1 PM, Beta driver(v2.3), Reaper 3.78, Sound Forge v9, Behr ADA8000, Liquid Mix 16, Waves Gold, Lexicon LXP N, PV ReValver 4 amp sim, Rode NT-2A mic, Martin D-35 guitbox, PV T-60, and ProteusX2 (XP only) w/Vintage X Pro Vol 1, 2 & 3 and other EMU soundsets! Pair of EMU PM-5 monitors, and other misc. gear. How I built the beast The Mini-Beast

jc
Site Admin

Re: DAW Remote Control Situation Report

Post by jc » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:14 am

I'm sure Steve Jobs would be rolling in his grave if he knew people used Google to find Apple stuff :)

anyway this looks like a great read for anyone interested in using remotes for their audio system.
Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius
Skype Handle: david.sundancer

Post by TwoRox » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:56 pm

jmail wrote:While the Bear and TuRox are down there in The Veranda
What makes you think that? I'm everywhere aka "omni-present"... :wink: :lol:

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:02 pm

jmail wrote:this was going to be the first post in my "DAW Remote Control Situation Report" thread, soon to be affectionately referred to as the "DAWRCSR Thread"... ahem.
What a cool toe-pick! 8)

I've been dabbling with some "remote control stuffs" for a little while now, too! :!:

Including trying to "mind control" the Grin Reaper with my ESP (=Extreme Smarty Pants)! :shifty

Didn't work, and I don't know why :-?

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:13 pm

jmail wrote:I've noodled off and on for a couple of years now with "remote control" of my DAW (licensed Reaper v3.77)
I got "into the Reaper game" buying a license when 2.x was still "the name of the game", as well.

But the last 3.x version I downloaded was 3.35, and then I fell ill again and was "off the radar" (aka "Internet") until after the first 4.x version came out, and now I'm impatiently waiting for the first 5.x version to be released so that I can buy meself another Reaper license that's good until the end of the 6.x cycle...

Any idea where I can download the last 3.x version that was released (3.77?) until Reaper 5.0.0.1 (or sump'n) comes out?

I do remember that the friendly folks over at Reaper.fm had some sort of "vault" where they put "the older stuff" for download, but I can't recall the URL... (Note to self: eat more Curcuma! :lol: )

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:26 pm

jmail wrote:I've noodled off and on for a couple of years now with "remote control" of my DAW (licensed Reaper v3.77) with some success... I make no claim as to usability of any of the soon-to-be following mentioned apps, either as to suitability of the application, nor to any possible security issues you might have using any "remote control" app. I've only used "free" ones thus far, and STILL can't make up my mind as to whether or not to purchase any of the others. I like some of the features, but don't like others.
Yeah, it's a pretty complex field. I was intimidated, at first, but then I started "digging my heels in", whenever I had the spare time and wasn't doing "10,000 other things"... :lol:

So I look forward to "comparing notes"! 8)

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:36 pm

jmail wrote:First up, I'll talk about what I "found" for an old iPod (not "pad", but "pod") Touch v4 running iOS v6.1.6 at this time.
Well, I never got into "the Apple game", cuz I've refused -- from the get-go -- to pay that "steep Apple tax".

Steve Jobs was a great visionary and a charismatic man, no doubt, but to me, Apple products are as badly overpriced as products from Bose and some other companies. (You know who you are, fellas!)

Therefore, I don't have an iPotty and thusly never researched the field of DAW remote control apps of the iOS variety and can therefore not not comment.

(I do have an iPatch, though... yar! Got it for cheap on Skull Island :lol: )

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:46 pm

jmail wrote:Anyway, some of what I have found for the iPod Touch is:
AC-7 Core Mini ($1.99US)
DAW Remote ($9.99US)
DAW Control ($4.99US)
Touch OSC ($4.99US)

If you notice, none of them are free, nor do most of them have a "free to try" option...
Just another variety of "the Apple tax"... :evil:

In the Android world, there's almost always a "free-to-try" version of a paid app -- sometimes ad-supported, sometimes with less functionality.

That approach works for me. The other one: not.

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:55 pm

jmail wrote:what I do NOT like about all things Apple is iTunes... all things iTunes. The pos "locks" just about everything you want to do.

"We are the Borg! Resistance is futile! You will be assimilated!"

"Yeah, right! Hey, you Fruit Borg Frakkers! Know what? I'm Jean-Luc friggin' Picard! I just planted something on your bleepin' ugly cube ship..." :twisted:

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:04 pm

jmail wrote:Maybe I'll bite if I can ever find a review I can trust.
:lol:

Yeah, that's another thing, isn't it?
If any of you have opinions on any of the above (or others), be sure and reply here.
Will do, a few posts further down. (Yes, I can look into the future... :wink: :lol: )