Forum Genius
Forum Genius
Skype Handle: david.sundancer

Re: Rix New "Old" Build

Post by TwoRox » Wed May 25, 2016 4:10 am

jc wrote:
jmail wrote:[guitar wailing] [while I gently don't sleep]
small riff and la la la :D .. points to bear or is it 2rocks? :shock: :lol:
Both! 8) Double Solo a la Hotel KellyFornja... DuBear on du bass geetar, du kwayzee wabbit on some strange string instrument nobody has ever seen... :lol:

jc
Site Admin

Post by jc » Mon May 30, 2016 7:35 am

i could dig out my old casio keyboard to add some vintage sounds ;)
Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:06 am

The Windows 10 hard drive came back to life... I don't know what to think about it. Did it actually die, and then come back to life?... I think MS has it under its spell, like its possessed... a poltergeist, if you will... But seriously, an update that took my hard drive down for a few days?... No errors on it. No sign of issue... It just up and disappeared the other day while I was doing some experimenting with audio (guitar recording, no smoke or illicit substances involved... really), and the thing went off-line. I use it as a "virtual memory" drive for the swap file in Win7, so that gets noticed right away. Shut the computer down, re-boot and it's still gone. Came back the next day, still gone. I'd made funeral arrangements even... figuring out how I was going to do the Seagate wipe on it, and see how many bad sectors it had, or whether it needed another firmware update or whatever... Last night, I turn the computer on again, and there's the multi-boot menu, but Windows 10 is back on it... hmmm. Boot into Win7 (not that I don't trust Win10, but I suspected an update, and didn't want to have to sit around for the next hour while it finished installing... seriously - it does that), and when I open "My Computer" - er, sorry, "Computer" (it's apparently not "mine" anymore...), and there's the Seagate drive... very strange. If I figure anything out, I'll let you all know, but two "deep" scans thus far, and nothing, nada, zilch as far as errors or clues...

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius
Skype Handle: david.sundancer

Post by TwoRox » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:03 am

jmail wrote:The Windows 10 hard drive came back to life... I don't know what to think about it. Did it actually die, and then come back to life?... I think MS has it under its spell, like its possessed... a poltergeist, if you will...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

jc
Site Admin

Post by jc » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:37 pm

congrats on the extended life of the drive . i know where to send my old problem drives ;)

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:42 pm

Yeah, but WAS it the drive? Like, maybe it has that old 'stiction' problem? Or was Win10 busy with it, installing a new firmware? Like, maybe, it's under MS's remote control now, and the nation's very existence is in jeapordy...?? ...??? tic :wink:

jc
Site Admin

Post by jc » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:05 am

watch out jmail, I heard there were alians landing in your area ;)

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:47 am

... are they from Redmond?...

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:05 pm

I'm really starting to not like this build for ~anything~ "modern"... I've got it connected to the wire for now, using Windows 7 64-bit, just so I have some "security" protection. If they'd just keep up with a plain web browser that could still run on XP, I'd be really happy to dump Win7 on that machine... In fact, I'm tempted to go back to trying to get Win98 loaded on it... :lol:

The poor beast... It's fine, in fact, GREAT at video capture. It does an excellent job of getting analog VHS into the computer. I can even do simple editing on the thing with any of the software I have for that. However, as soon as I try to do anything beyond reading email on the web, it starts to falter. It does NOT like having all those processes running in Win7, especially after you've opened a couple of pages with Acrobat pdf files, or viewed an MS Word document,etc., because all of those programs start using more threads, and keep them open, that the poor thing, at 2 gig of RAM (which just a few years ago was a LOT), why, it just runs out of gas, and slows to a crawl. Next thing you know, I've got a Windows pop-up "Your computer is low on memory. Please close some applications so that you do not lose any data. Windows will start automatically closing apps..." Say whuh? All I've got open is a couple instances of My Computer, and about 4 tabs on the web browser... how am I "out of memory", and what happened to the swap file, huh?...

Anyway, you sit at a modern computer (which it ain't), and you expect it to do what the quad-core can do... :lol:

jc
Site Admin

Post by jc » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:21 pm

yeah even my new build with a basic shell in it is pretty damn fast, can't wait to beef it up one day. I prefer buying new stuff, even to the extreme of hardly anyone else owing it so by the time most people get it I can afford to upgrade all the parts to something a lot better. I lose interest in older hardware. I have this other old pc that I had running ok with Windows 10.

On that subject. if you have any pc's you want updated to w10 from w7, 8 etc then today is the last day. 31st July 2016, you might have about 30+ hours left there yet :)