Rix New "Old" Build

Moderators: jc, Moderator

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Re: Rix New "Old" Build

Post by jmail » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:17 pm

jc wrote:I'm not sure what you guys are really talking about ( i got yout pm too jmail). .. Can I see one of the links you are talking about or part of the emails that you are linking from?
It seems OK here now, perhaps it's slow. I'm not sure of TR's adventure. He could get in following a link in an email, but couldn't when typing the link. I couldn't get here reliably from a link, but could by typing it in. I think there was something up with DNS, or whatever controls international traffic. Perhaps the Chinese were borrowing bandwidth to hack someone's email... ?? There seems to be something slowing things down, but it's tough putting that to something because of all the variables involved. Could be my computer... could be further up my arm... :lol:

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:31 pm

Well now, just as I posted, I got a delay, screen went to white, then an error message page, white background, blue lettering, like the dark blue here (or MS Editor from years back), with "This web site is unavailable: system time out." There was an error number, but before I could read it, it was gone, page flashed, and there's my post (above).

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius
Skype Handle: david.sundancer

Post by TwoRox » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:58 pm

This might provide some pointers:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/offi ... pic/120221

I'm still able to get to a post directly following the link in a "topic reply notification" e-mail, but other than that, I'm getting that "too many redirects" message, and as I've already stated, I did a virgin Firefox install on my main desktop system to rule out a problem with Chrome, and I also used my older desktop computer with a virgin Windows 7 install and the ole IE on it, always getting "too many redirects".

Therefore it is very likely a phpbb/forum/server configuration issue.

jc
Site Admin

Post by jc » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:39 am

As mentioned in the past post, If you able to post the part of the email with the link included then it might help me work it out, without that I'm blindfiolded. the link above looks to be aabout automod which was the old way of installing mods before phpbb included extensions in later versions.

on a technical side the only thing I can think of that could cause something like this is to do with this "portal mod" extension which is what gives us all the sidebars and the website portal style of the forum as it has caused a few issues for me in the past since it is a pretty significant mod.

I also have this code below at the bottom of the .httaccess file that might cause some issues like this if there are any factors affecting it: This code is to redirect members back to the portal home page instead of the old index.php page.

Code: Select all

RewriteRule ^index.php$ / [R,L]
Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.

jc
Site Admin

Post by jc » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:41 am

jmail wrote:Well now, just as I posted, I got a delay, screen went to white, then an error message page, white background, blue lettering, like the dark blue here (or MS Editor from years back), with "This web site is unavailable: system time out." There was an error number, but before I could read it, it was gone, page flashed, and there's my post (above).
that is just a hosting overload error I think, probably too much ram used up over several websites from visitors etc, I can't afford to purchase more ram at this stage but this should not happen very often as I already spend nearly $70 a month on hosting with zero income, stupid yeah haha . :lol:

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:24 am

jc wrote:I also have this code below at the bottom of the .httaccess file that might cause some issues like this if there are any factors affecting it: This code is to redirect members back to the portal home page instead of the old index.php page.

Code: Select all

RewriteRule ^index.php$ / [R,L]
That's most likely what's causing the redirects I'm experiencing. Whenever index.php is involved, I get the "too many redirects" message.

All other pages, for example search.php (the whole "quick links" menu), seem to be working okay.

BTW: I don't get to see any kind of "portal style"... in my browser the forum still looks like it did in the past...

jc, if you could temporarily remove that rewrite rule, it might help to nail things down... thanks. :)

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:43 am

That should only take you to the current index from an old link, but with the new layout... Do you see the write-up jc did, describing the site, with links to the sections, and then the "hot topics" or whatever it's called below that, then the regular looking index when you land on the site? I thought there was a thread for the first draft he did of it, but it's not findable by me (probably right under my nose) to show you...

What do you get when you click on this?:
http://productionforums.com/

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:58 am

In the meantime, I've used one of those "how does your site look in a different browser" sites to "take a look from the outside" at the productionforums which has given me a look at the new layout.

Therefore I can confirm that I don't get to see the new layout... because I never get to see the forums homepage... because of said endless loop of redirects...
jmail wrote:What do you get when you click on this?:
http://productionforums.com/
the "too many redirects" error message in my browser.

I did some more checking, and all *.php pages I've checked work just fine (viewtopic.php, search.php, viewforum.php), but anything involving index.php results in said "too many redirects" error message.

Now, I don't know how many users "out there" are affected by the same thing I'm experiencing.

I can work around things on my end, no biggie, but I brought this up in case it is something affecting more users, in which case it might make sense to remove that rewrite rule in .htaccess, as I've already suggested in my previous post.

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:09 pm

That's a "direct" link. I'm wondering if you've got things screwed down too tight in your browser, or if maybe your ISP is blocking you, or -HORRORS- Windows itself is doing it? Check your UAC and the networking page(s)...

When I was having issues, they seemed (after the fact) to be a DNS and/or international skip kind of thing, and that I was taking 45 skips instead of the usual 10 or whatever, so packets were coming & going out of order too much... no wutt ah meen, Vern? Everything was back A-OK shortly afterwards.

jc
Site Admin

Post by jc » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:16 pm

hey guys thanks a lot for all the feedback. I will try to make a day soon for PF's, maybe the weekend or soon and look into all these things, cheees. We can maybe split this thread up and use it to make note of all the current issues.

I just had a nice ride back from the city again. Now home, relaxing, played some enjoyable music, will read everything about more in depth soon, :)