Rix New "Old" Build

Post by jmail » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:58 pm

To cut to the skinny, if you're a member, you
should be able to "see" and download this attachment,
which will be updated as the thread goes along:
RixNewOldBuild.pdf
On to the regularly scheduled thread...

OK, here's the set-up:

I've been wanting to build a computer dedicated to capturing video, especially VHS tapes, but also the Super 8 film and DV tapes that we have. I've used a console DVD-R recorder and the video camera to "capture" the DV tapes at 720x480, and while the process works, I have to do quite a bit of processing afterwards to bring the lights levels and contrast up (and fix color). When I've tried to play our store-bought tapes into the DVD-R, it bombs because of the Macrovision used to "protect" the tapes. I've also run into similar issues with VHS tapes that I made myself. I want to get me a TBC like the AVT-8710, and almost got one the other day, but haven't jumped just yet. It's a device that I HAVE to have, in order to do what I want, no matter how I "capture" the video. My desire to copy these tapes has been around since before I bought my first computer, a Commodore C-64, which I did use back in the day to make transitions and credit rolls with on some of my early video works. If I can find it, I might put a link up to a digitized version of our "MTV Video" from 1980 or so. Originally filmed with an 8mm film camera, I got it to VHS years ago, but haven't seen the tape in years... I'm not even sure I have it. One of the other members of the old band might have it... Anyway, nothing major, it was just us trying to copy what we saw on TV back then. Off topic already, and I'm not even out of the first paragraph... :wink:

Back to the subject at hand. I was at Best Buy consumer electronics store quite a few years ago (1998??) and saw my first ATI All-In-Wonder card, the 128 Pro AGP. At the time, I was really into games, and 3D games were getting pretty big about then too. This thing did 3D and 2D and it captured video and had a TV tuner on it for recording broadcast TV shows. What a DEAL!!! So I bought one. I didn't even have a computer with an AGP slot at the time. It prompted my first home-build. Of course, after spending over $200US on the video card, I didn't have much to spend on the computer itself, so I got me a K7 Sis chipset motherboard that had an AGP 2x slot, 3 PCI slots and 2 ISA slots - remember, 1998, and a lot of sound cards were DOS based and used the ISA buss. It was an Athlon cpu, and some gargantuan amount of ram, like 500 megabytes... I could capture at 640x480, but bringing that up to 720 for DVD basically ruined the video. I tried several other builds after that over the years, usually discarded equipment cobbled into a "system", none any more successful than the first at doing what I wanted. The AIW ended up in an old P3 800mHz Compaq Presario that has one gig (wow!) of ram - maxed-out, where it sits still, and doesn't capture hardly any better. It's never been in a good Intel chipset mobo... I've kept my eyes open over the years for a decent Intel solution.

Tune to today: I was doing a motherboard search for a build planned for next year, when on a lark, I searched for an 865 chipset motherboard with AGP (for old-time's sake, since it was the most popular chipset for the E-MU DAS Devices back when) and ended up at Newegg for an Asrock motherboard. I thought "surely, it's long been out of stock", yet there it was, 775i65G R3.0... brand new and in stock. Say whuh? Say whuh? Wow. So I went to the Asrock 775i65G web site and downloaded the owner's manual and looked at the cpu Support List, and started searching for a cpu. I didn't want to do another quad core from that era, since I've got one in The Beast, and have since discovered that a lot of my issues with that computer is the four cores getting in each other's ways and thrashing in apps that aren't aware of what the hardware is. Dual Core works much better for what I'm wanting to do, so I limited myself to dual cores. There's all sorts of them on eBay, and at not so bad prices, some with the heat sink and fan even...

So an idea comes to me, and I'm now building me a new home for my 2nd E-MU 1820M DAS Device, AND the ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro... I'll have to wait and see how well it works before if I decide it's going to be my "traveling studio" DAW or not yet. For the time being, I'll put it in an old Gateway tower case from the P4 days, with my old DAW's power supply (a puny 440w thingie). If it works fine, I'll do me a new power supply for The Beast of about 750w, and put the current 550w FPS one in the new build here, which will then end up in a 4-space rackmount case in a traveling rack.

So on Friday, I found me a person near St. Louis MO on eBay selling an E4400 with heat sink & fan for $10US, plus about $7US shipping. I bid, I won. It came TODAY!!! They must have had it packed and ready to go. They will get a glowing review on that portion of things when I do my eBay report. I didn't expect the cpu until Friday or Saturday, so I had just placed my order this morning for the Asrock mobo and the G.Skill ram. I got that particular ram, since it's the only DDR400 CL2.5 I could find from a source I trust. The ram plays a big role if a person wants to do a 1066FSB. Now I'm anxious for them to get here. In the meantime, I've broken a rib (see Now I Went and Did it...) and can't hardly do a thing. This is my 3rd edit of this posting, and I'm laying on my back as I do it on the Nook tablet... Anyway - hopefully, I'll feel up to putting it together in a few days.

What I have so far:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 Conroe 2.00GHZ cpu
Asrock 775i65G r3.0 AGP motherboard
G.Skill 2 x 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) CL2.5
ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro video card

I'll have to go through my old hard drive collection and pick me out a couple appropriate IDE 7200 rpm hard drives, at least one ATAPI DVD-R, and a couple SATA 7200 rpm drives. I might end up sometime in the near future putting one of my older WD Black drives in it from The Beast, and put me one of the newer "6" Black drives in there. The machine will have Windows XP SP2 as it's "base" OS, but dual-boot with Win7-64. The ATI will not fully function as a capture device in Win7, and has to have "hacked" drivers to work in XP, but I already know that aspect of it will work, since it sits in a Win98 dual-boot WinXP right now.

More later. I'll have to get a few pictures too, and I'll update the post here with the new additions as they come in, or get chosen from the parts bin downstairs. Later.

Edit 30/03/16 0815 Local: The motherboard will be here Friday afternoon; the ram, Saturday morning...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Intel DP43BF mobo, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz Quad-core, 4 gig ram, 2x WD Black 750g SATA HD, DVD+RW, CD-RW, Gigabyte GV-R455D3-512I Radeon HD 4550 vid, Rosewill case & 480w FSP PS. Dual-boot WinXP SP3+ & Win7 64-bit SP1+, EMU 1820M (only card)-works great, v2.1 PM, Beta driver(v2.3), Reaper 3.78, Sound Forge v9, Behr ADA8000, Liquid Mix 16, Waves Gold, Lexicon LXP N, PV ReValver 4 amp sim, Rode NT-2A mic, Martin D-35 guitbox, PV T-60, and ProteusX2 (XP only) w/Vintage X Pro Vol 1, 2 & 3 and other EMU soundsets! Pair of EMU PM-5 monitors, and other misc. gear. How I built the beast The Mini-Beast

jc
Site Admin

Re: Rix New "Old" Build

Post by jc » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:57 am

this sounds really interesting and I will be having a good read on it over the weekend. I also want to upgrade my PC soon, just the things I did not get like a graphic card or much memory yet. But as I have all the base compenients then I only need a few things. But I will be doing a lot of research myself over the next few weeks on pc gear as well.
Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:14 pm

It looks like the mobo will arrive tomorrow; the RAM will come on Saturday. Now, if I could only sleep halfway decent, but this broken rib is a major annoyance... I'm still having a time of it just breathing. I go back to the doc tomorrow, early in the morning, and we'll see what they do...

Edit AM of the 2nd: I went to the doc's yesterday morning, they did several vials of blood, urine test, etc., and changed my pain med to something stronger (thankfully). I'm def much more comfortable now. The doc is a bit worried about other damage done from hitting the floor like I did. Awaiting results sometime later next week, of which I'm sure everything else is just fine. Saw the pix on the big screen, and "OUCH!!! Man, that hurts!" Looks worse than I thought, so it hurts more now... :lol:

The mobo arrived on time this past afternoon. Looks nice, nice package. The RAM's tracking email says it's "out for delivery", so it should arrive sometime early this afternoon, about 12 hours from now. I've already got the hard drives picked out for the build. I've got a WD 60gig 7200rpm IDE and a WD 30gig 7200rpm for the Primary channel. An old ASUS ATAPI 16x DVD-R multi drive for the Secondary, and a 320gig Maxtor 7200rpm SATA I drive for the SATA. I'll add either one of my WD Black 750 gig drives, or the 500 gig Black in also later, after I upgrade my main DAW. I'll take a few pix tomorrow after we get back from my boy's Black Belt test, which is slated for 12 Noon. Should be over about 5pm or so, since there's 4 adults and one junior testing. They're usually pretty efficient with the testing when there's this many, but the "Master" does like to wax eloquent. I don't think I've got enough batteries to get me through the fotog of it all, if he goes too long... :wink:

In the meantime, another post tomorrow night with all the parts for the build. Later.

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:36 pm

Well, it's official: my 16 y-o is a probatioary Black Belt! He'll do 6 months of observation & do another short test come early September for his certified.

Unfortunately, we couldn't have two good things happen in one day... My RAM didn't make it in the USPS delivery today, so now I have to wait until Monday for that. 'Family Fotos' shortly thereafter.

jc
Site Admin

Post by jc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:41 pm

an AGP 2x slot, 3 PCI slots and 2 ISA slots - remember, 1998, and a lot of sound cards were DOS based and used the ISA buss. It was an Athlon cpu, and some gargantuan amount of ram, like 500 megabytes... I could capture at 640x480, but bringing that up to 720 for DVD basically ruined the video. I tried several other builds after that over the years, usually discarded equipment cobbled into a "system", none any more successful than the first at doing what I wanted. It ended up in an old P3 800mHz
im feeling pc sick now, this is making me remember things I thought were done :( at least NT was a solid sytem.
775i65G R3.0...
You have another one I see on your list so that might help as I see that one is out of stock. My first thoughts were only 2 gigs max of memory but I guess all that gear would be looking at megs not gigs anyway.

The parts sounds OK, it looks like you done your research. wiill keep reading but have to get up at 5am so nearly asleep :) ...

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:59 am

The ram came today, and here's a picture of them all together:
IMG_0295SmCropt.JPG
I still have to take the computer that the ATI AIW card is in apart, and get the card out. I've got two of three hard drives I'll use backed-up (both the IDE drives), and I've still got to dig out my old Antec mid-tower case to put it all in. I can't remember if the Antec power supply is still in it, or if I'd put that in something else... I've got too much junk downstairs "in inventory", so I think I'll do a bit of spring cleaning as I go to put this together. Unfortunately, this broken rib is more aggravating than I want it to be, almost to the point of being debilitating. If I take my pain meds, I can't think straight from being loopy. If I don't take my pain meds, I can't think straight because of the pain... As an example, it's taken me over four hours just to get everything gathered for the picture above, take the picture, edit it, and do this post... It's a b!+@# getting old... :wink:

I don't know what link you followed jc that showed as out of stock, but I got the mobo & ram at newegg here in the USofA, and I don't think most computer gear is "exportable" anyway, so you might get an out of stock message, I'm not sure. In the meantime, the mobo is definitely a throwback to the days of old, when we first started talking about speed-stepping and such with the early dual core processors and the 865 chipset, when PCIe was just an infant. The mobo holds a max of 2 Gig of ram, which is not a problem for the application it'll be used for here. If I feel up to it, I'll get some more done on it tomorrow, and maybe do a full family picture of all the parts, maybe even a partial assembly shot or two. I am done for the day though. Too tired (and old)... :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jc
Site Admin

Post by jc » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:50 pm

I remember the 865 and I'm sure I had one around those dates too. Mine was from MSI and it was really a superfast motherboard at the time and I first came across it on a review article/comparison. About that time Asus were becoming a solid brand and many people that bought hardware around that time started with an Asus so my one never got a huge following but I got several good years out of my first computer in Au. I remember coming home on the bus with the parts, so excited to be back in business after arriving in OZ and having too much fun on my first night to wake up the next morning with no money and one heck of a hangover ina strange familiar country :) I found a chinese guy at a retail Asian mall in sydeny who needed a website, that gave me enough to get some food and a pc, then I was back in business with my overseas clinets doing interfaces for mainly fashion brands like elle etc. having a computer was nice, the 865 sure rings a bell. I seen the guy that I built the websites quiet girlfriend on the bus on the way home and she winked at me as I smiled carrying my pc case and parts :lol:

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:37 pm

Well... major hurdle encountered, and I clipped it with my lead foot, and took a face plant into the track cinders...

I'm not sure how long ago I put the ATI AIW card in the old Compaq PIII I just pulled it out of, but I've been relying on what Windows identified it as, which would be akin to allowing Windows to ID an E-MU DAS Device, as it would be wrong... If I still had my old ATI documentation, or the box it had come in, *anything* that would help me remember what I'd purchased way back when... oh well

Needless to say, I'm off by a whole generation of ATI cards. It is NOT -repeat = NOT an ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro, which would be a 1.5 volt, or "Universal AGP Slot" card... Instead, it's an ATI All-In-Wonder 128. No "Pro" about it. It is a "Version 1 AGP Slot" card, aka: a 3.3 volt AGP card, NOT a 1.5 volt card. This basically renders it useless in ANY of the dual core motherboards. A real "bummer", to put it mildly. I should have pulled the card prior to "planning" my "new / old" build...

Question now is, do I go ahead and build me the computer without the ATI, and just use it as the 2nd DAW, or do I go ahead and buy me a used ATI AIW "Pro" of some form or other, and put it in?... ?? If I just build with what I have, I can put the ATI AIW 128 card in the old #2 DAW, which is a P4 mobo... 'Course, I gotta figure out which AGP slot is in it...

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:15 am

My current AIW card will NOT fit into the old Dell either, which has an AGP v2 slot, for 1.5v... Ratz again. So I went ahead and have started installing Win98SE in the New "Old" Build box. I've decided to go ahead and get me a New "Old" ATI AIW on eBay, and go ahead and make this the 2nd DAW with that. I'll put my old AIW in the PIII box again, and give it away to someone.

OK, bid in on an ATI AIW 9700 Pro. Just waiting for it to close. If I don't get it, there's an AIW 9600XT on Amazon for a similar price that I'll go for next. More later...

Edit: Well, someone bid in the last 5 seconds and won by one penny. I tried to place a bid that I had sitting ready to go just for that occurrence, and it didn't take. Oh well. The 9600XT is ordered and on the way, and it's over a dollar cheaper. Just not as strong of a video card and doesn't have the HD output, but it does have a header for a dual monitor, which is extremely useful on a DAW or a VEW (Video Editing Workstation)... (Is that a real acronym? or did I just make that up?) Anyway, it'll be here Monday, while the 9700 would have been somewhere between Friday and next Monday... I'll add to this come Monday, if the delivery is on time.

jc
Site Admin

Post by jc » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:10 am

I will make your thread a global announcement for a week so you might get some more feedback.